• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting XLR Balanced Left/Right Audio To TV ?

Free To Air

Hi,

I have a D-Sub to balanced XLR left/right audio cable that takes audio from a source via the D-Sub end. I wish to connect the balanced left/right XLR connectors at the other end of the cable to a TV. Obviously, I need an XLR to RCA cable but is that all I need to get audio into the TV or do I need to do some other conversion to get the audio into a format the TV will accept via RCA?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A bit more detail on what you are trying to achive plus the Make and Model numbers of the pieces of kit would be handy.

Balanced auido is used in the Pro and very high end audio world - not for inputting auido to a TV.

Joe

Free To Air

I am trying to get audio out from a broadcast grade satellite receiver to a TV set. The audio output is via a 9 pin D-Sub port that outputs both analog and digital audio. I have a cable with 9 pin D-Sub connector at one end that connects to the satellite receiver, at the other end of this cable are 3 XLR connectors, one carries balanced digital audio, the other two carry balanced left and balanced right audio.

My need is to get audio into a TV.

Rgds

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You can connect via an XLR - RCA lead, but may need to drop the level a little, depending upon the receiver. Some are +6db, some up to +18db, which may cause the input signal to clip on the TV.

The good news is, you won't damage anything trying it out, so get the basic leads and see if it works. You can then just get some XLR "pads" that drop the signal by 6db if you get distortion.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom