Connecting XBox to projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DK2174, Mar 19, 2006.

1. DK2174

DK2174

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, I seem to be a little bit of a luddite- I can't seem to get my xbox correctly connected to my projector. Some students did earlier, so I know it is possible, but when I plug the xbox cable into the RGB video cable, I can only get green or black/white screens. Also, I know the projector is OK because the projector's menu comes up in color. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    Hi and welcome to the forums, is it the original xbox or a 360? Also what cable is it you are trying to get to work, i.e component, svideo etc

3. DK2174

DK2174

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for responding! It's an original x-box, and I'm trying to use the component cables. I just can't figure out why I'm not getting color. Thanks again!

4. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Have you softmodded your xbox? A uk pal xbox does not take the US component cable as standard.

Take a look at the softmod thread in the xbox forum. It gets passed around for free, and will allow you to get your xbox in hi-def.

No chipping etc required.. and makes a big improvement in pic quality

5. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Sorry to jump in here, but maybe somebody could help me with a similar problem:

My projector does not have a scart input and is as follows:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/HP-xb31.htm

Compatibility: HDTV: 1080i, 720p
    EDTV/480p: Yes
    SDTV/480i: Yes
    Component Video: Yes
    Video: Yes
    Digital Input: M1-DA(P&D)
    Personal Computers: Yes
    [​IMG]

I think I can use an adapter such as this:

[​IMG]

But now....... how to connect my DVDplayer / surround sound speakers (Sony DABsb300) which I use through the same component currently for my projector?

Is this a stupid question, but can I connect the headphone jack on the projector to the headphone jack on the dvd/surround sound system??
    Or is there another easier way?

help the stupid person please

6. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Am I missing something?
    Dont you just connect the DVD player to the PJ for the image, but then play the sound straight from the DVD system?

7. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yes, but how do I connect the xbox aswell in order to incorporate the surround sound while playing games?

Connect both the projector and the xbox to the dvd player?

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    Normally if you are using a high def pack with your xbox then you will have an optical out which you can plug into your amp. You will need an optical lead for this though.

I am not familiar with the sony model, how does the surround sound work with that i.e does it all go through the sub?

9. ukkev2000

ukkev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    It's my guess that you just gotta tell the PJ what format the signal is in.

Now, this cable of yours... is this the standard cable that comes with the xbox? It's got three phono plugs on the end of it, one yellow, one red, one white?

If YES, then the video is only coming out of the yello plug - this needs to go into the "cvbs" input on your projector.

Is it this cable?

10. ukkev2000

ukkev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Woah there!

Some Rules First.

Sound does not go to a projector, only video.
    Sound comes out of your Sony DAV-S300

Your XBOX has wires coming out with video on and wires with sound.
    The wires with sound (2 plugs, one with a red band and one with a white band or maybe R and L) plug into the DAV-S300.
    The wires with video go to your projector.

The amazing bit is that the video leads from the DVD player ALSO go to the projector - I'm guessing it can take two inputs?

Now all you have to do it turn on the xbox, tell the DAV-S300 to play the external input from your xbox and you're in business!

(I'm guessing the DAV-S300 has an external input where you can plug in your xbox.)

Similarly when you want DVD, set the PJ to display the DVD video and the DAV-S300 to "DVD", and there you are in Film Heaven.

11. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Max Payne - I bought one of those DVI to component video adapters for my Xbox360 (the blue thing in the pic above). Unfortunately I found that it didn't work.

The XBox360 does not output a straight DVI Digital output and although those adpaters change component to DVI, it is the analogue incarnation of DVI not the digital variety.

On my SP5700 and SP7210 the DVI connector is digital only. If you look at the pins on the adpater you will see a flat blade to the right of the pins. The 4 pins aound the blade are for the analogue signal. These are blanked off on the Infocus Screenplays and the projector will not accept the adapter. To use componenet video, you have to connect straight to the red green and blue plugs on your projector if it has them. XBox 360's do not output DVI digital, only analogue at the present time. If your projector can accept DVI Analogue then you'll be okay.

Hope that makes sense.

12. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for all - went uk kev's route and everything working perfectly!!