• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting xbox/sky+ to Samsung HD-450 soundbar

Pyramus

Standard Member
I currently have an xbox and sky+ box connected to a Samsung D8000 TV with HDMI cables.

I now want to set up a Samsung HD-450 soundbar. I see 2 options:

1) Connect xbox and sky+ with 2 separate Optical audio cables to the sound bar which has 2 optical input ports.

2) Leave the xbox/sky+ as they are, and connect the soundbar to the TV optical out port with a single optical cable.

I think either would work - but is there likely to be any less of audio quality with option 2, where the sound is going via the TV rather than going directly from xbox/sky+ to the sound bar?

Thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI audio connectivity can be a but of a minefield due to different setup options in Source devices and Intermediary devices.

Your Option 1 is best - Option 2 would limit you to inputting a Stereo signal (via Optical) to the Soubdbar!

What about the TV tuner audio - do you need that to run through the Soundbar?

Joe

Pyramus

Standard Member
So I figured option 2 was the best - simply because it involves just one cable rather than 2.
The soundbar is just a 2.1 system, so figured I'm not losing anything by connecting it to a 2 channel source from the TV? If it was a 5.1 system, then option 1 would definitely be the way to go.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Assuming the TV will Output the SKY and Xbox HDMI audio via it's Optical port then that would seem simple enough if your connecting to a 2.1 Sound Bar - check the TV Manual to confirm it Outputs External HDMI via the Optical port!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom