• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting XBOX 360 to Network HDD

matt9713

Established Member
Hi,

Is it possible for an XBOX to connect directly with a networked HDD in order to stream music and video?

Basically, I would like to be able to store all my media on one, and not have to worry about always having my PC switched on every time I want to watch a video in my lounge through the XBOX. If you still need the PC to be switched on for it to work though, it defeats the object, and I won't bother...

thanks in advance...

Morphies

Established Member
Not that i'm aware of.

You can use the media player extender to stream music and video to your 360. However, i'm pritty sure you can't browse a networked storage device.

Other than the USB and media player, I don't know of another way to connect to a storage device, wired or wireless.

If you find one though, let us know! :thumbsup:

gam

Prominent Member
yes you can..... had a buffalo linkstation (they have a few models but I think thats what it was called) with twonkymedia installed on it and have since replaced it with a qnap server also with twonkymedia, both nice and small NAS drives connected via ethernet and worked with both the ps3 and xbox360 and used often for music and video with no pc turned on

there are a few other NAS drives that should work and if you search threads here there will be more info but UPnP and DLNA certified are what you are looking for on the NAS

LOXjet

Established Member
Is it possible for an XBOX to connect directly with a networked HDD in order to stream music and video?
Yes it is.

I stream media from a ReadyNAS NV+ to the 360 (using the in-built ReadyNAS AV UPnP service).

As gam mentioned, you can also achieve this using TwonkyMedia (from a PC or a Twonky supported device).

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom