Connecting xbox 360 and sky+ to a Sony DAV-DZ260

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by premiump, Feb 4, 2009.

1. premiump

premiump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I have recommended the above system to my mate. He only wants to connect his 360 and Sky+ to it. Unfortunately, looking at the rear connections, there are two optical inputs, but one of them is a digital coax. Both the 360 and the sky+ box use an optical connection (TOS I think).

I'm pretty sure you will be able to buy a splitter box for pennies, but could anyone recommend one that definitely works? As its a recommendation, I don't really want to have egg on my face because he can't connect his devices.

I searched on Maplin for "optical splitter" and saw the following widget for £7.99 ... Digital Optical Splitter > Maplin ... but in the frequently asked questions it states that:

Q) Is this what I need to allow connection of two devices to one amp?
    A) No this is one input i.e source to two outputs.

So I'm slightly confused, as this looks like it would have done the job. Any help or clarification much appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    That will work, it can join to signals into one or one signal into two, however it will get a garbled signal if both devices are switched on and outputting at the same time. As long as that isn't the case, it will be fine. The Sky+ constantly sends an output I've read even when in standby though, so with the 360 on you may get a garbled signal unless its switched off at the mains.

Like me you may be better with an optical SWITCHER there's one maplin do its about 12.99 it can plug 3 devices into the one input however you have to manually switch the dial on it depending on which device you want to use. Ebay do them for 10 quid delivered with 4 x 1 metre toslink cables.

3. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
  4. premiump

premiump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the quick response guys, the constant sky+ signal sounds like it could be a problem, so the switch looks a good (and cheap) solution :thumbsup:

Before I send him down this route, and to research all alternatives, can you buy a digital coax >> optical convertor? That way he wouldn't need the switch and could use both optical inputs on the amp.

Many thanks for your help :thumbsup:

5. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes you can, search on ebay or google for them, they are around £10 but what put me off them is they are powered which means they have a brick which you have to connect to a wall socket.

6. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    theres only 1 optical,but also a digital coax..
    forget the convertor, just get the optical switch, and a few optical leads..far easier,and less bother.