Connecting X-Box to Amplifier

J

jag

Hope its ok to post a hardware question here. I have the MS Advanced Scart cable and an optical cable. The optical is connected to Optical 1 on my Denon 2802 and I have changed the setup to point TV to Optical.

I have also configured my X-Box to play in Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital and DTS.

I cannot get any digital sound though. What am I doing wrong?

the only thing i can think of is that you need to tell the amp that you are using a optical cable in the set up menus.
hope that sorts it.

I had already done that. I'm gonna try see if the optical cable works with my dvd player today.

Try turning off Dolby Surround since you only need Dolby Digital and DTS. All of the decoding will be handled by your Denon and not the Xbox then.

I'll give it a go.

EDIT: It automatically chooses Dolby Surround when you enable Dolby Digital.

Jag : Ah, my bad. Atm I can't test out the Xbox's 5.1 because I sold my receiver >_< I'm waiting to find out more information on the Marantz SR5300 and its prices. Going back to Pro Logic just doesn't cut it anymore >_<

Jag, does your DVD put through DD/DTS when using this optical cable into this input? I know on my Sony amp I have to set the input to 'AFD' (Auto Format Decode). If I don't I get no DD/DTS. You may need to tell the amp to auto decode the digital bitstream in some way.

If you are getting DD/DTS from your DVD player using the same cable into the same input and you have your xbox set to Dolby output then I suspect a fault with the AV pack or the box itself.

Have a read of the amps manual and see it gives you any clues. I have no experience with Denon amps so not sure on the procedure.

S

Probably not what you want to hear, but I think quite a few early Xboxes had a problem with the optical out not working. See if you can try another console.

Originally posted by McPastry
Probably not what you want to hear, but I think quite a few early Xboxes had a problem with the optical out not working. See if you can try another console.

No, definitely not what I want to hear. I only just got it as well.

Where did you get it? It's probably not an early one. Maybe take it back to the shop with the AV pack and see if they can get it working. It will be worth it, believe me.

Are you sure the amp is set up to auto decode DD/DTS signals?

S

Got it from HMV just a week ago.

The amp definitely auto decodes, it always has done with DVD's.

I got the Advanced Scart from Amazon though.

i got my X Box a week ago and had no problems setting it up with optical out. Have you double checked the leads is secure both ends. Also, on my amp i have to select which source to play if it isnt DVD, so check that you dont need to select the relevant input. If memory serves digital coaxial always gets selected over and above optical so do you have a coaxial input from your DVD?
hope it helps!

Yep, all ends secured. You do have to select a source, in this case I have chosen TV/DBS and you do have to select a digital input in this case optical.

I am so sure I have done everything right, which makes it all the annoying :(

How weird is this. I selected DVD and changed the DVD setup to point to Optical and what do you know it works!!!

Now this is a poor solution as I use coaxial for DVD so I thought I would use CD instead. So I have CD set to optical now and it still works. Now I am sure there is a logical explanation to do with a digital signal being a digital signal but it would have never occurred to me to try doing this.

Anyway, its working, I have X-Box 5.1 and Sega GT 2002 sounds friggen awesome :cool: Wasn't so impressed with Halo but I'll give it time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom