Connecting wireless headphones to preamp line out

UTT

Standard Member
I've recently added headphones to my HiFi setup - partly for the usual domestic reasons, partly because until I finish more urgent work on the house and then finish running the speaker cables, all I've got fronting the system are a pair of Kef Q85s surround speakers.

With a modest budget and no Bluetooth on my system I went for a pair of second hand Sennheiser HDR 120 II cans and associated transmitter base. I could probably have got a better set of Bluetooth cans, but I'd then have needed to spend more on a BT transmitter.

I've got the base station connected to the second pair of line outs on my preamp, which works as long as I turn the volume well up on the amp. The cans are okay - they're clear, a bit weak at bottom end but create no real soundstage. You definitely couldn't sit your eyes and imagine you were there.

How much difference will connecting the base station this way, rather than to the headphone amp, make? Am I just expecting a bit much from these cans (I believe they are, after all, only using FM radio)?

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom