• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting wireless headphones to my TV

chrimbobells

Novice Member
Firstly, I have a Samsung Plasma (D51P8000).

I always go to sleep much later than my partner and it can make watching TV in bed a pain as I have to keep the volume low, but it is often too low to hear anything.

I ordered a little bluetooth transmitter which you plug into your headphone jack and volia - I have sound via the (also new) headphones. However I stupidly didn't think it through, in that in order to get sound back through the TV I need to remove the lead from the headphone jack. Unfortunately my TV is positioned in such a way in the room that getting to the back of it every time to plug/unplug the lead is more hassle than it's worth, so my existing gadget (which is similar to this: Amazon product) is no good.

Is there any way to solve this? Ideally it would just be a button or switch to get the sound going either through the headphones or the TV, but is that actually possible or does have anything plugged into the headphone jack mean the whole enterprise is dead in the water?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
What other audio outs does the TV have? RCA red/black? Scart socket? Optical? A different BT transmitter (for optical) or adaptor cable (RCA/scart) might work if there's a line level out to the transmitter.

I can't find your TV model to see the manuals/pictures of in/outs.

Some TV brands allow separate headphone and speaker volume control (Panasonic) and that can be useful in your situation. Shame Samsung don't.

chrimbobells

Novice Member
What other audio outs does the TV have? RCA red/black? Scart socket? Optical? A different BT transmitter (for optical) or adaptor cable (RCA/scart) might work if there's a line level out to the transmitter.

I can't find your TV model to see the manuals/pictures of in/outs.

Some TV brands allow separate headphone and speaker volume control (Panasonic) and that can be useful in your situation. Shame Samsung don't.

I got the name wrong - it's the PS51D8000 - but it doesn't unfortunately let you set the sound seperately (that I can see).

Does the TV have an optical audio output (toslink) Most do ?

eg

It does have an optical out, yes, but I'm not sure how I would use what you've linked?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I got the name wrong - it's the PS51D8000 - but it doesn't unfortunately let you set the sound seperately (that I can see).

It does have an optical out, yes, but I'm not sure how I would use what you've linked?

You need a DAC (Digital to Analogue converter). You could connect your bluetooth converter to the dac 3.5mm stereo output. However it might create lip synch issues. A wired extension headphone cable to wired phones should keep everything in synch.

eg

Amazon product

Racquel Darrian

Distinguished Member
I've got two wireless headphones that take an optical input.
My Sony is 7.1 and my Turtle Beach is 5.1.

Look into getting a 5.1 gaming headphone.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
A low latency BT transmitter with optical in should do what you want instead of the one you have currently with 3.5 mm analogue input.
The set does have a SCART output via an adaptor (supplied) - whether that carries audio out is unclear. If you have suitable scartadaptor leads it may be worth trying; but I suspect it is unlikely.

An example only (I have not used this device!) Amazon product

A wired extension headphone cable to wired phones should keep everything in synch.
But the OP wants to have the headphones easily disconnected and use the TV speakers regularly... that is not possible as the headphone socket is difficult to access and also means getting out of bed / possibly disturbing the sleeping partner.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
A low latency BT transmitter with optical in should do what you want instead of the one you have currently with 3.5 mm analogue input.
The set does have a SCART output via an adaptor (supplied) - whether that carries audio out is unclear. If you have suitable scartadaptor leads it may be worth trying; but I suspect it is unlikely.

An example only (I have not used this device!) Amazon product

But the OP wants to have the headphones easily disconnected and use the TV speakers regularly... that is not possible as the headphone socket is difficult to access and also means getting out of bed / possibly disturbing the sleeping partner.

He just needs to turn down the TV volume to minimum or mute the output. Toslink outputs are usually at a fixed volume designed to connect to an external amplifier. Hence the volume control on the DAC for the built in headphone amplifier

No need to plug anything into the TV headphone socket.

The lnked DAC shows a Smart TV connected to wired headphones using a toslink cable.

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Doh!
I was assuming bluetooth headphones are being used by the OP.
But maybe that is the case?

I'd not want the volume control for headphones to be that far away, personally.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Doh!
I was assuming bluetooth headphones are being used by the OP.
But maybe that is the case?

I'd not want the volume control for headphones to be that far away, personally.

Bluetooth receivers with volume control are available.

Amazon product

No idea how far away the TV is from the bed. I have used a 10M toslink for PCM stereo with no problems. Should be OK placed on a bedside table. Also I imagine with a fixed level source. You would only need to set the volume once.

Amazon product

If the OP watches Freeview-HD there will/may be an issue with Dolby Digital audio, The TV should have a setting to force DD to be recoded to PCM Stereo.

Bluetooth headphones have a battery, a built in amplifier and Volume control anyway. Like my Sony MDR ones.

Last edited:

chrimbobells

Novice Member
For clarification, the intention is to use Bluetooth headphones, as the TV is the other side of the room and so I've ordered some that support low latency and have volume control, and paired it with a transmitter that connects over optical. Hopefully that'll do the trick, I shall find out tomorrow when it arrives!

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
For clarification, the intention is to use Bluetooth headphones, as the TV is the other side of the room and so I've ordered some that support low latency and have volume control, and paired it with a transmitter that connects over optical. Hopefully that'll do the trick, I shall find out tomorrow when it arrives!

Do you watch any Freeview-HD channels ?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes, the TV has a mini box and is connected via HDMI and watch all kinds of content on there.
In that case you can do without the D/A convertor and just use a 3.5mm stereo jack to RCA Phono plug cable into the AV out socket on the Q Mini to the Bluetooth transmitter if that is what is viewed exclusively on the TV.
The AV socket has composite video and audio available at all times even though you’re using HDMI.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Yes, the TV has a mini box and is connected via HDMI and watch all kinds of content on there.

Had you revealed this key information earlier we could have saved a lot of effort. I see someone has already posted, The mini boxes have analogue stereo audio out on a 3.5 mm socket.

None of us have a crystal ball.

Whether you get lip synch issues you will have to let us know after trying it out with your bluetooth transmitter.

chrimbobells

Novice Member
Had you revealed this key information earlier we could have saved a lot of effort. I see someone has already posted, The mini boxes have analogue stereo audio out on a 3.5 mm socket.

None of us have a crystal ball.

Whether you get lip synch issues you will have to let us know after trying it out with your bluetooth transmitter.

It wasn't wasted effort because I do have access to a Firestick (and I might set my Bluray player back up too), so those would require the original solution, so thanks to all who have posted.

I'll update the thread with how it goes.

chrimbobells

Novice Member
Update: It all works. Optical out of my tv into the transmitter and great sound with no delay on the lip sync with the bluetooth headphones. Thanks all.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom