Connecting Wii to LG LED TV

dhruva

Standard Member
I have bought an LG 42LW550T LED 3D TV (which is not quite the best out there for gaming). I have connected my Nintendo Wii to it using AV cables. I primarily play EA Grand Slam tennis online.

My TV has two game modes (with descriptions as per user manual):
  • AV Game Mode: Use the optimized image and sound settings for fast gaming. When playing a video game using PlayStation or Xbox, it is recommended to use the Game mode. When in Game mode, functions related to picture quality will be optimized for playing games.
  • Picture Game Mode: Optimizes the video image for a fast gaming screen for PCs or games.

I've tried both options but my ageing reflexes cannot judge which has faster display...but technically which one should I use? What are the differences between the two options? The TV user manual does not tell me any more than that.

Secondly if I connect the Wii to the TV using component cables, will I get better performance in terms of display and lag time? Or is Game Mode good enough?

Funnily enough, my TV has two female sockets for component input (see image). So if I a component cable like this (see image), how do I connect? Do I need some 'converter' cables?

And lastly, is it worth investing in a Wii to HDMI converter?

Thanks a ton.
- DSG

Attachments

• TVComponent.JPG
    TVComponent.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,247
  • ComponentCable.jpg
    ComponentCable.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,086

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Component will give you the best picture quality on the tv, from the Wii.
As to modes, it's up to you, what you prefer, but at least get rid of the composite leads(what you are using now), and use component.

Your tv doesn't have 2 component in's, it has component/component audio and composite(av).

As for a component - hdmi convertor, utterly pointless, to be honest.
Analogue - digital is expensive, and as the Wii isn't HD what's the point.

StevieBuck

I take it your TV came with the adaptor cables shown in the first image you posted?

You will need them to connect anything to the TV via component.

dhruva

Standard Member
I should say that you'll need to use them two adapters cables that come with your TV with these leads. Only connect the audio red and white from the composite adapter though. Not the yellow (which you won't have anyway)

I take it your TV came with the adaptor cables shown in the first image you posted?

You will need them to connect anything to the TV via component.
Yeah got it! Will try this. I did not realise the importance of these cables that came with the TV :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Q800T 8K QLED TV Review
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom