connecting Wii to internet with Netgear DG834GT wireless router

pmonger

Established Member
Reaction score
hi. has anyone successfully connected wii to the internet with the Netgear DG834GT wireless router using wifi?
i connected my DS ok but cannot get the wii to work? it finds the router but the test always fails. i get error codes 51331 and 51332. i have tried manually inputting the information into wii's internet settings but still no joy. i also tried nintendos site and followed some support steps. can anyone help please? thanks

im having a problem having my wii and laptop both connected to my router which is a d-link. dont understand why i they are both set to obtain and ip address automatically.

very annoying - :mad:

Dal

Don't have that router but had problems linking to my SpeedTouch when it was on channel 1. Bumped it to channel 11 and it found it. Might be worth trying.

thanks but did try changing the channel number from its default 11 and it still didnt help.

hi. has anyone successfully connected wii to the internet with the Netgear DG834GT wireless router using wifi?
i connected my DS ok but cannot get the wii to work? it finds the router but the test always fails. i get error codes 51331 and 51332. i have tried manually inputting the information into wii's internet settings but still no joy. i also tried nintendos site and followed some support steps. can anyone help please? thanks

I have that router and it worked fine for me first time - no problems.

I've got a DG834GT and it worked first time - all i had to do was enter the WEP key. It might be a good idea to upgrade your routers firmware to the latest version and try again. Also have you tried connecting it using no encryption to see if that works? - Its not ideal to use permanently but will narrow down what the problem could be.

thanks. i have the latest firmware (V1.02.04) but will try the encryption setting you mentioned, once ive watched the gadget show which is just about to start. cheers.

can i ask what channel your routers set to?

Monger you posted in my thread while ago about wifi

I entered the wii mac address into my routers mac filter settings and it work

Might be worth a go

yes mate. this is the thread that i started before i saw yours. have just got it working! its updating (slowly) now. i changed the channel to 1, didnt change the encryption settings. also moved the wii console further away from router as i read that they can interfere with one another if too close? dont know if thats true or not. one extra thing, my wii was also picking up my neighbours router also. would this affect the channel number setting?
thanks all.

Mine works a treat on the netgear using WPA, disabled SSID broadcast etc. I have the router configured for auto 108mbps.

Monger you posted in my thread while ago about wifi

I entered the wii mac address into my routers mac filter settings and it work

Might be worth a go
Second that motion. I have a DG824G and my wireless settings/access list required me to add my Wii before it would allow it to connect to through the router. This what I did:

1) Got my Wii to detect my router/access point.
2) Tried to connect by entering my WEP key, which failed, as expected.
3) Logged into my router's web interface and went to the 'Wireless Settings' then 'Setup Access List'.
4) Under 'Available Wireless Stations' my Wii was listed.
5) Clicked add and then tried my Wii again......
6) Jobs a good'un. Wii then carried out 2 updates :thumbsup:

Hope this helps people.

Re: connecting Wii to internet with Netgear DG834GT wireless router
yes mate. this is the thread that i started before i saw yours. have just got it working! its updating (slowly) now.

Mine updated slowly so i unplugged it ,i got an update for shopping channel then went to update the news and weather and it started updating but stop shortly saying i had the latest updates but every time i try to access it i get the screen for updating .It just repeats the update but doesnt let me on to the channels

Mine updated slowly so i unplugged it ,i got an update for shopping channel then went to update the news and weather and it started updating but stop shortly saying i had the latest updates but every time i try to access it i get the screen for updating .It just repeats the update but doesnt let me on to the channels

I dont think the news and weather channels are available yet:thumbsdow

I have a DG834GT and had no problems with my Wii. I use WPA PSK security and don't even broadcast the SSID so I did everything manually. My Wii is upstairs beside my PC and 360 and my router's downstairs, they can all connect OK.

I added the MAC address of the Wii into the Access Control List on the router then created a connection on the Wii to the SSID of my router and entered my WPA passcode when required and it just worked.

I work in IT and from dealing with people at work most problems I've seen are with passwords that aren't quite right or people using MAC access control and forgetting it's enabled. Of course I'm not saying that's what's happeneing here, it's just that's what I've seen people do.

Hello,

I finally decided to protect my wifi.
I have a DG834GT and use WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) + MAC Filtering + Not Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)

MAC Filtering + Not Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID) didn't ****** off my wii

WPA-PSK messed up my wii connection.

The Network Key i used was generated with WiFi Key Generator (great tool) with 63 characters. Btw, i had to flash my router to V1.02.13 otherwise the max characters was 60.
one of the characters was ¦ and THIS was the naughty one so i've changed this ¦ to an other caracter which fix my issue.

hope this help

PS: i tried to find a list of supported caracter from nintendo but not luck

I have a sneaky feeling it's numbers and letters allowed only...

please can somebody help me. i have a netgear dg834g v3 which my laptop connects to fine but when i try to connect my wii it comes up with error code 52030. i have read post about channels and firmware but i dont have a clue what that means!!!!! please can someone help a girl in distress!!!!:):lease:

hi

is your laptop a mac?
I had a problem recently where my mac was connecting fine to the wifi but PCs wouldnt, turned out that the pcs needed the wifi password to be 13 digits long where as the mac didnt care how long the password was. might be the same with the wii.

I have a Netgear DG834G Router and I have my ps3, laptop and ipod touch all connected by wifi, but just not my ds lite and my wii which was working months earlier.

Now my wii and ds lite are not finding my router, but my neighbours signals instead!!

Can anyone help me out?

Hi,

Very strange - I have the same router and it works fine with 3 computers my PSP and Wii. The settings on the router might be important as the Wii will do WPA but the DS will only go up to WEP for security.

Have you changed any of the settings since it was last working? Is there an access list of MAC addresses? It might be easier to broadcast the SSID (if not already) and start agin for the devices that don't work currently.

Cheers.

PS, my router's a v2 model.

Last edited:
Well yeh I have my pc attached plus another 1 and 2 other laptops connected and all. Not all at once obviously.

Funny thing is their is no WEP or WPA security up to restrict it and I do stick NETGEAR as my SSID when I need to, but still nothing. Dead strange if you ask me.

p.s. i know mine has firmware 1.3 on it but my idiot mum through out the damn box so not sure about the version.

The version will be printed on the label on the underside of the router, so hope is not lost ;)

As a starting point it is almost certainly worth updating the firmware. The web page for all of the different versions is here:
DG834G support page
Choose your version and then click the downloads tab. Follow the instructions very carefully, although it is pretty simple to do. Firmware 1.3 seems pretty outdated now, so this would be a good starting point.

Cheers.

Nice one! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom