connecting wii/360/ps3/skySD/32"LCD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by 1nternet, Feb 4, 2009.

1. 1nternet

1nternet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I know, another newb post - sorry!

I'm thinking of getting a home cinema system, but am confused about where to start looking. Basically, I want something that I can connect all of my sources to, so that I can get improved sound, and turn off the lcd's built in speakers.. I currently have a 32" samsung LE32xxxx (not sure what the rest of the model number is, but its about 18 months old, has a purple strip along the bottom and has only one HDMI socket), but the sound is not great.

I have the following connected to my samsung at present, which I would like to be able to connect to a home cinema system:

Nintendo Wii (I think, composite? red, white and yellow connectors)
    Xbox 360 (component - five connectors. I don’t think it has HDMI as it was one of the cheaper models bought 18 months ago)
    PS3 (HDMI)
    Sky SD Grundig box (Scart)

You'll have to excuse my ignorance regarding the first two on the list….i don’t know off hand what they are called?!

I havent got much of a clue if I could get all of these connected to one home cinema system, and as such, I am seeking assistance here!

I'm not after anything expensive, just as simple, budget system. My old man recently bought samsung plasma from currys which came with a samsung home cinema system, which I think retails for around £150. Something like that would be ideal for me, 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers and a sub.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as i don’t really know what I am looking for and don’t trust anyone in my local currrys/comet etc to know what they are talking about as they've always seemed clueless when I've aasked them for advice in the past!
    Thanks!
    N

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Unfortunately all-in-one systems like the one your father bought aren't ideal for setups such as yours as you have multiple sources and you want to connect them all together to achieve surround sound. Your budget limits you to an all-in-one type arrangement unless you go second hand. My advice would be to stick with it for now and then when you can muster some more funds, invest in a separate amp and speakers that can switch those sources (SCART has to be connected direct to the TV though) and perhaps even upconvert them so that you can use a single HDMI cable to the TV. However, if your budget will not permit this, at the very least I would consider something like the Yamaha AV63+ system that has multiple inputs for your various sources and should cope. All-in-ones are limited in the amount of inputs they have and people that buy them, soon realise that they need ugly external switches to share single optical inputs and the like. I don't know the style of the system your old man has but if it is a 'tall boy' type speaker system, consider the Sony HT-SF1300.

The PS3 is capable of HD audio formats, so consider looking for a system that can handle LPCM (decoded audio) over HDMI.

BTW, I would also invest in the nintendo component cable for your wii (or alternative, check the wii forum for suggestions) as the picture quality via component video (green/blue/red + red/white audio) is far superior to composite video which is the worst possible quality signal you can use.

3. 1nternet

1nternet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi, thanks for the helpful response. Cheers for the tip about the wii, but I'm not fussed about how it looks to be honest because I dont really use it. Its more for the missus so it can stay looking bad!

With regards to the av equipment i'd need i have seen a lot on here about the yamaha that you've mentioned. unfortunately i cant find it anywhere for sale. Richer sounds have it on their website (at least i think its the same one - £149.99) but it isnt for sale online and i cant find one in stock in london anywhere. i was all set to get it too (assuming i picked the right one, that'll do 5.1 surround through hdmi?).
    So i now need to start looking for another amp.....do you have any other suggestions? My max budget is £150 (i can get the speakers next month) and all i will need to hook up to it is PS3 (through HDMI), xbox360 (through i dunno what - but it doesnt have HDMI) and Sky SD (again, i dunno what i'd use for this).

thanks again for your response, its been most helpful :thumbsup:

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    The cheapest amp that will do audio via HDMI is probably the Sony 820 at £230. I think the amp you're referring to is the 363, which doesn't handle HDMI audio, you need to look for the 463 for that. If you wanted the 463, I would look at the AV63+ package as I think it isn't cheap when sold individually. If your budget is limited to £150, I would look at the Cambridge Audio gear and also consider second hand, you'll get more bang for your buck but might have to compromise on some features. If you're patient, save up a few more quid and get a better allround system. :)