harp1983

Standard Member
Hi

So far I have connected....
The tv to sky box with a hdmi
The tv to vcr with a scart
The tv to dvd with a hdmi
The tv to the aerial with an aerial cable

I just am not sure how to connect the vcr to the sky box. I have read u just connect it usually with a scart. But the vcr is really old and only has one available scart slot. So using a scart is not an option as it is currently connected to the tv....

Any ideas? Pictures below....

This is the back of the vcr....
http://db.tt/Ue8V5zgk

This is the back of the sky+ hd box at the top. The dvd player is underneath....
http://db.tt/9G5dAd1u

This is the back of the tv...
http://db.tt/BPecn6WF

logiciel

Hi and welcome to the forum.
What do you intend to use the connection from Sky to VCR for?

harp1983

Standard Member
Hi there

To record programmes from the sky? I assume there shld be som kind of direct connection? I may b wrong

logiciel

Can the VCR record from external sources?

harp1983

Standard Member
Yes. It used to be setup and worked. But we had to disconnect everything

And are now trying to work out how it used to b connected

logiciel

Hm, that's what we need to know.
If the only socket is the Scart that must be for both input and output - can you check that somehow?

Ditton works

Standard Member
All scarts are in and out!! If a unit eg VCR or DVD recorder has more than one you can have more than one device /source plugged in for recording. If my memory Servs, I would plug the sky box in to the VCR then run the ariel from VCR to telly. Press play on VCR and start tuning the telly until what ever the VCR is playing appears in the telly. Save the Chanel eg. Channel 9 etc. prob solved. If it doesn't work I apologise

logiciel

Yes it does work, and it's what I'd have suggested if all else failed.:thumbsup:
Many Scart sockets, and cables, are one way only, which is why we need to know in this case.

Ditton works

Standard Member
Sorry logic, I thought all scarts were in/out. They say you learn some thing new every day. Hope it works.

logiciel

That's OK, and your way definitely would work.:smashin:

Ditton works

Standard Member
Yes harp. Use the ariel from the VCR and plug into tv. Put a cassette in with some thing obvious like a film for instance. Then tune a redundant channel until it picks up the programme/film on the video tape. Once this is achieved save the channel, this will become your video channel.

logiciel

That's an analogue channel on the TV, that you tune, and then save on a programme number.
You currently have the aerial connected to the TV Aerial In socket in order to receive digital Freeview, so you'll have to disconnect that and connect it to the VCR Aerial In socket instead, as well as having the new cable from VCR Aerial Out socket to TV Aerial In socket.
The result will be a poor picture on the programme recorded on the VCR and worse on Freeview.
I note that the VCR Scart is marked Euro AV and the standard for that is for it to be both input and output.
In that case you'd get marginally better results by using it with an adapter for both the Sky and the TV connections.

Last edited:

logiciel

The ariel is the cable, and the sockets on the VCR are Aerial In and Out.

HD sceptic

I would have said the aerial is the spiky metal thing on the roof, the RF cable is the wire from the spiky thing to the back of the TV, and the sockets are aerial or (RF) in and out sockets.

but some say I can be a bit pedantic

harp1983

Standard Member
Nice one. Ill have to try the advice. I need it dumbed down. So im trying scart to sky box. Aerial socket to video instead of the video. Then video to tv. I think!

logiciel

Scart cable from the Sky machine Scart socket that's specified for VCR to VCR Euro AV.
Co-axial cable from spiky thing on roof, maybe through wallplate, to VCR Aerial In.
Similar cable from VCR Aerial Out to TV Aerial In.
HS sceptic: There are times when pedantry is a virtue.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom