1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting VCR to PC

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Jaime, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Jaime

Jaime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

What do I need to connect mp VCR to my PC in order to edit my mini DV footage?

Do I just need an S socket and audio at both ends?

Thanks!

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what kind of deck do yo have?.

are you capturing from an analogue source such as vhs or svhs?, or are you capturing from a digital source such as minDV/DVCAM?.

What type of deck do you have?, what type of capture card do you have?.

Best option for consumer DV is component digital (firewire) if you have a dv out socket on your deck.

S-Video is still ok, but you then have to watch the audio capture levels, you will need to do a test record first and just check that your audio is not peaking above 12db / 0db (depending on your programme).

Some decks such as the JVC twin decks and sony dv decks will let you pass an analogue source through and out firewire, if I knew what kit you were using it'd help me out.

Porfessional decks would also let you control the analogue audio level, which is easier than doing it on the fly in the editing software.

3. Jaime

Jaime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roy,

I have a mini DV camcorder but no DV or analogue in.

I want to transfer my old VHS-C tapes into pinnacle studio, edit, and then export to DVD.

The problem I have is my VHS-C camcorder doesn't work anymore, so I want to use the converter to play the tapes in My VHS recorder and transfer to PC.

What do you recommend?

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could buy an analogue capture card, S-video is not essential, ordinary phono would work ok for vhs.

Alternatively you could pay for a transfer of the footage from VHSc to miniDv saving you the cost of the adaptor and an analogue card (if you don't already have one).

I would recommend pinnacle for this type of application, they do an analogue card kit, or studio software alone (will work with your dvd burner and analogue/firewire capture card) and is dead simple to use.

5. Jaime

Jaime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roy

6. daveimme

daveimme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I'm taping the World Series and want to copy them to my pc and eventually save them to DVD for the future cuz who knows when this chance may come to the Red Sox again? I'm looking at some method of copying from my vcr to my pc, since we have a lot of vhs's that I want to preserve.

Any cost effective recommendations??

7. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Depends what you consider cost effective.

I use a Canopus ADVC-100 to convert Analogue (VHS etc) to digital DV files on my computer. It's a simple little box that you plug your VHS output into on one side & then connect via firewire out the other side to your computer. I always get synced audio & no dropped frames :smashin:

The other good thing about it is that it's bi-directional so you can take digital off the computer & convert it to analogue (for going back to VHS after edit etc if you want)