• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting V-drive to different resolution displays?

Dave163

Hi, I have a conventional widescreen CRT TV that I use for the bulk of my watching and a hidef projector for movies etc. I'm thinking of getting a V-drive and assume that I'd connect the scart socket to the TV and the HDMI socket to the projector.

Obviously if I record something that is broadcast in hidef I can only play it on the projector, but how does it work for displaying anything broadcast in standard definition, as I would want to view standard def movies on the projector but other stuff on TV? WOuld I have to reset the box to a different output definition every time I switched between TV and projector, and when recording in standard def do you have to specify the resolution or does it just do everything automatically? Or would I have to decide what resolution to record or view everything in, every time I wanted to see something, and choose the appropriate display, TV or projector?

Confused...

ManicRobot

Hi, I have a conventional widescreen CRT TV that I use for the bulk of my watching and a hidef projector for movies etc. I'm thinking of getting a V-drive and assume that I'd connect the scart socket to the TV and the HDMI socket to the projector.

Obviously if I record something that is broadcast in hidef I can only play it on the projector, but how does it work for displaying anything broadcast in standard definition, as I would want to view standard def movies on the projector but other stuff on TV? WOuld I have to reset the box to a different output definition every time I switched between TV and projector, and when recording in standard def do you have to specify the resolution or does it just do everything automatically? Or would I have to decide what resolution to record or view everything in, every time I wanted to see something, and choose the appropriate display, TV or projector?

Confused...

You don't need to worry about recording, the box records material as broadcast. So HD stuff will be recorded as HD and played back at whatever you set the box to. So if you record a HD prog you can play it back as HD or SD. You will need to change the output every time you swap between TV and projector though as the V+ doesn't output both HD & SD at the same time. There is no problem with watching SD material via HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom