1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting using Denon link

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BruceFan, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. BruceFan

BruceFan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to the forums, and a comparative novice in AV, but thanks to reviews etc, have just upgraded to a 3910/3805. :)
    1st question - of many i'm sure, do I need any other connections between above other than the denon link, such as co.axial interconnect.
    Any advice on connecting to plasma (HDMI) also welcome.
    Thanks

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I think, with the inclusion of SACD into the Denon Link 3rd fold, the link is all you need and is the best way to do what you require. I am presuming your 3910 is upgraded to the latest SACD capable firmware. If not I would set about doing that now.

Regarding connection to your plasma, experiment! Use HDMI and component and see which you prefer because while many have accepted HDMI with open arms and found it to be superior, others have not been so impressed.

3. calsam

calsam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am new to home cinema and am very keen to understand how to do things. Please forgive my ignorance, can Denon link (and Pioneer equivalent) also be used for CD replay?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Yes. Denon Link 3 will pass Dolby/DTS/PCM (CD)/DVD Audio/SACD. Same goes for I-Link (Firewire).

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    On my Denon DVD-A1, activating tthe Denon Link actually deactivates the analogue outputs.
    I can see the point in this to an extent, as Denon Link will transmit everything as already mentioned.... BUT, it's a damn pain when you want to distribute analogue signals to a second zone via your AV amplifier.

Denon have not thought this through...... their own AV amplifiers will only output an analogue signal from a digital source when the source is selected on the main zone.

You cannot listen to the radio whilst your amplifier routes analogue signals from the DVD machine to a PC, CD recorder, VHS machine etc...... UNLESS you connect analogue cables from the DVD player to your AV amplifier aswell as Denon Link AND deactivate Denon link when you need to use them.

So the simple answer is, because of the way Denon have implemented Denon Link, you may also need to connect analogue interconnects from your DVD player to the AV amp.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    They rectified that on the A1XV. :) Not for Zone 3 and 4 though.

7. 12 promises

12 promises

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Doe Anyone Have Any Info Regarding The Upgrade Of The A11 To 3rd Gen From 2nd Gen D-link?

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Info is that it needs a hardware upgrade so will have to go back to Denon.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=81601&postcount=116

The 5900 is the US version of the A11.

Then again, you've got someone who says he's upgraded his with a disc. But later posts state the unit will have to go back to Denon.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=559085

9. 12 promises

12 promises

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi Thanks,i Had An Email From Denon Today (21/07/05) Telling Me To Send My Address And They Will Post Out The Discs,(more Than 1?).
    They Did Advise Me That The Upgrade Would Revert The Player Back To R2 If It Was Already Modified.
    So Is It Worth The Bother Unless You Have A Large Collection Of Sacd Discs,and Dont Use The Multi Region?