1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting up tv/dvd recorder/vcr/ntl cable decoder

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by lurchertom, Feb 16, 2005.

1. lurchertom

lurchertom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone tell me how i would connect up my tv, which has two scarts, to my ntl cable decoder, which has two scarts, labelled vcr and tv,, to my dvd recorder , which has two scarts labelled ext 1 and ext 2 to my vcr which has one scart, to my tv which has two scarts.is this the order i would connect them up, and what do i have to put the dvd on and vcr i.e are these both on av 1 and do i have to switch one of these off to record from the tv.what happens if i want to record from the vcr to the dvd, i then need both of these on. this is all very confusing. i need help.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. chris the dev

chris the dev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I still haven't had any joy! I can't seem to use DVDR and SKY together - therefore can't record.

Chris D.

4. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lurchertom

It would help if you gave model numbers but heres how I would connect it.

NTL digibox TV out -> DVDR AV2 in (both set to the same signal type, RGB is best but old NTL boxes only output s-video which is pretty good as well)

DVDR AV1 -> TV AV1 (I would set the DVDR output to the same type as DVDR AV2 input is set to, to allow passthrough of the signal when the DVDR is off)

Aerial in -> NTL RF in (if it hasn't got one or you dont have an aerial ignore this step)
    NTL RF out -> VCR RF in (may need to get RF Y-adapter to input aerial feed if no RF in on NTL box)
    VCR RF out -> DVDR RF in
    DVDR RF -> TV RF in

VCR can then tune to NTL via RF, DVDR can pick up both NTL and VCR via RF and TV should pick up all three. May need to adjust RF outputs on all three so they dont interfere with terrestrial or each other.

You then have two options with the VCR output

1) Straight to TV AV2 but can only record via RF feed to DVDR (not the best)
    2) Via a scart to 3 phono plugs adapter into front (or rear if it has one) 3 phono of the DVDR. This gives you best recording from VCR and can either watch video via RF feed to TV or via the DVDR when this is switched on.

My only caveat is that NTL RF out on my box had so much noise away from the terrestrial channels it interfered with my other equipment and in the end I had to disconnect it. (NTL now been cancelled)

Sorry, bit long and complicated but difficult when I'm not sure of your hardware.

Wackojacko32

5. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chris

Just had a look at the old thread and it looks a bit puzzling. Can you answer a few more q's

Can you have both boxes on at the same time if you switch sky on and then the DVDR?

If the DVDR is on, and Sky is off does switching Sky on manually (not via timer) switch the DVDR off also?

TBH it sounds like a fault, or possibly a feature, where the DVDR goes into standby when is senses a signal on AV2 to allow the signal passthrough. If its a feature its a pretty stupid one so I would lean towards the fault idea.

Try turning scart control off on the Sky box (only gives you a Pal signal then though so may need to alter DVDR inputs settings) to see if this solves the problem or eliminates this as its cause.

As far as the VCR connection goes (see earlier reply), a scart to three phono adapter into AV3 (on rear according to website) would do nicely. Have to have DVDR switched on to view videos, other than by RF
    that is.

Let me know what you find.

Wackojacko32

6. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have same set up and went:

Scart:

Digibox > DVD Recorder > TV (RGB route)

Digibox > TV (composite toute)

R/F (Aerial Lead):

Aerial > VCR > DVD Recorder > TV (tune a VCR channel on Recorder & TV)

This way you can

Record from digibox to DVD
    Watch Digibox whilst recording DVD from internal tuner
    Record on VCR
    Record from VCR to DVD