1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting up the planned system (Denon DVD 1910 etc)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by docjan_uk, Aug 20, 2004.

1. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, been lurking for a while, weve decided to drop the hammer on a Panny Th42pwd6, we'll have the component connection board etc.
    Now, the receiver portion will be the Denon AVR1705 which is capable of component switching and will be connected via component to the monitor.
    The DVD player will be the Denon DVD 1910 and Im guessing connecting via component to the receiver will be fine.

Problem starts here:

There is currently a sky box and soon enough a Sky+ box in its place, this connects to a VCR via scart (RGB I assume), and the VCR connects to the TV right now... but will have to connect to the AV receiver when the new system comes about.
    The VCR also outputs via Scart (RGB again I assume).
    I have to wonder how I could connect the VCR/Sky+ box to the AV receiver if it outputs RGB?!

The AV receiver doesnt have any RGB connections as far as I am aware.. just S-video, component and composite and it can upconvert and S-video or composite.
    Not sure if this picture will work but here I go anyway:
    [​IMG]

Also, eventually the VCR will be replaced by a DVD recorder of some kind though I assume connections will be similar or perhaps it will even have S-video or component at that stage which will make it less of an issue to connect to the receiver.

Any help would be appreciated. :blush:

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    VCR will only output composite (or possibly SVHS). Unless the new up upconverts composite to component you will need to install a composite (or scart) board into the Plasma. I would go for the composite board...

Sky+ will work best using an RGB to Component Converter and feeding component through the amp. When you get a DVD recorder run it in-line with the Sky+ box sharing the converter.

3. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, had a closer look at the manual for the VCR.
    Apparantly although it cant produce or record an RGB signal, if an RGB signal from say a sky box was routed through it, it allows an RGB signal to pass into it and through it on to the TV etc.

urm, lets see....
    The AVR 1705 definitely does component switching, so that means composite and Svideo can all go through the one set of component cables into the monitor.
    VCR outputs composite signal through scart lead.
    Sky box outputs RGB via scart lead.

Now...
    Way I see it, DVD player plugged in via component to AV receiver.
    Sky box TV output scart is in RGB... I use an RGB scart and plug it into an RGB component convertor and then plug this into the 2nd of 3 component inputs to the AV receiver.
    I plug a scart into the VCR scart output in the sky box which probably outputs composite and connect it into the VCR... then scart from the TV output on the VCR with one side as a composite lead and plug into the AV receiver.

Any component signals directly to the TV (from DVD and sky box with RGB convertor) will send to the monitor via the component, and the VCR inputting in composite will upconvert and also be sent through the component into the monitor.

Anyone see any problems with this setup?

Only bloody unforseen bit is this convertor, hope they dont come in too dear :\... we bought the VCR as a cheap stop gap anyway since the old one pretty much all but blew up. All this hassle for some VCR :rolleyes:.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Component Switching isn't the same as component upconversion and i'm pretty sure the 1705 won't have upconversion. This could mean your VCR will need it's own composite connection directly to the plasma (no biggy, you'll find you barely use the VCR anyway!).

For recording connect Sky scart 2 (labelled VCR) to VCR scart. For component converter you'll need to use Sky scart 1 (labelled TV) which is the only RGB one. The JS converter is worth investing in at £150 ish, there are cheaper but you do get what you pay for... You could use an RGB to VGA converter instead (slightly cheaper and some would say a little better) but this will negate the point of switching via the amp!

HTH