1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting up the DSP620

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by monkeyleader, Jan 27, 2002.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hey all,

Well after some time Ive now taken the step and purchased a new amp - the yamaha DSP620 (wihtout radio tuner) I now would like to have some suggesstion on connecting it all together. Here is a list of the hardware that I have

TV - Toshiba 40" RP
    sky digitial
    NTL digiital
    standard video player
    dvd player - Toshiba SD210E
    CD player
    playstation 2

In the future Ill be getting an xbox and gamecube. My main questions are as follows ;

1. without blowing the bank just yet whats the best way to make the hardware connections back to the amp (Scart to something I take it for devices such as sky / ntl / video / )

2. ive set the switch on the back of the tv to external speakers so if I have a connection for every bit of hardware onto the amp, how do I get the amp connection back to the TV ?

As always big thanks to all those who reply.

cheers,

Nige

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba televisions have excellent pass through audio capability so you can just connect the 2x phono from the the tv to the amp and that will take the tv audio as well as all the items connected to the tv via scart etc. This saves the need to switch devices on the amp when you go between sources.

However, the exceptions to the above are the PS2 and DVD player will want a direct connection to the amp via digital optical or digital co-ax, as appropriate. As for the CD, it will depend on what the connection options on the cd player are.

The video signals are best handled via the scart lead. It may be awkward without a scart switching box, however, as a starter, you could try this.

DVD > TV (using component video as i believe your player and tv have this)
    NTL > TV (into RGB scart)
    SkyD > NTL (into vcr scart)
    PS2 > SkD (into vcr scart)
    VCR > TV (into scart 2 composite)
    aerial > sky > ntl > vcr

TV > amp (2x phono)
    dvd > amp (digital co-ax or optical)
    PS2 > amp (digital optical)

The above allows the best video and audio signals on all your current items (with one exception which is mentioned later). However, once you get an x-box and/or gamecube, you will have to decide whether you want to get a scart switching box (for your needs you would be looking at about £100 for one of these) or whether you are prepared to unplug the PS2 and replace it with the Gamecube/x-box depending on which one you are using. The same may apply to your amp which may not have enough digital optical or co-ax connections available.

The one exception is the VCR. It will be connected to the tv via scart so playback of commercial vcrs will be fine. However, when recording NTL or Sky, it will be recording via the old RF aerial so audio will be mono and the quality will not be as good as composite scart. However, you really don't have an alternative.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A couple of questions :-

1) monkeyleader - with all of your sat / cable boxes and games machines do you ever find time to go out of the house ?

2) Doubledoom - I have no direct experience of connecting up an NTL box and a Sky Box together and I think that I have followed through your advice correctly but could you not connect a second scart from the Digibox to the VCR to enable recording in stereo / pro logic from Sky ?

4. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    okay so Ive spent the best part of today connecting things up and I have sound - finally.

Here is how Im doing it

sky
    connected to TV via scart for picture
    phono (sky) - phono (amp) connecton for sound

ntl
    connected to TV via scart for picture
    phono(ntl) - phono(amp) connection for sound

cdplayer
    phono (cd) - phono (amp) for sound

ps2
    ps2 - svideo (amp)
    optical cable from ps2 - dvd optical input for sound

monitor out
    svideo (amp) - scart on the tv

Possible changes

sky - scart into amp via rgb
    ntl - scart into amp via rgb

Workking well - have not been able to test with any good dvds as Im waiting the arrival of my new dvd player !

thanks for all the help

nige

PS: go out the house ? why bother :)

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You need what we all need at one time or another...

An RGB scart switch box. A decent one of course. No argos crap that leaks and buggers up the signal.

You can then shove PS2, DVD (if you have component capabilities on both TV and DVD this is preferable to RGB scart), NTL and Sky into the TV using RGB. This frees up the amp soley for sound duties. You can still have the amp connected to the TV by simple composite connection or whatever for onscreen setup, and the video can just be shoved anywhere really.

RGB Scart switch boxes... bloody brilliant so they are, take away all my connection worries.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Monkeyleader,

Poor old Doubledoom spends hours thinking about and typing in a response and you go and connect it up all different.

If both of the scart sockets that you have your Sky and NTL boxes connected to are RGB capable what you have done will work well. Does your TV have four scart sockets or have you just forgotten about the VCR.

If only one scart socket is RGB capable the best way of connecting up is by daisychaining as Doubledoom suggested.

You have connected up the same way as I do by connecting each source to the amp, but I do it that way as the TV out from a JVC doesn't work that well.

The Scart leads will pick up the sound as well as picture and if you had wired up as recommended you would have saved on phono leads and source switching.

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTL > TV (into RGB scart)
    Sky> NTL (into vcr scart)
    Games machine > Sky (into vcr scart)

The vcr scart is used by the games machine to give RGB on that as well.

And my way would have saved money on leads, saved the need for audio switching and given the best video quality all 3 of the sources instead of just one.

It makes you wonder why the question was asked