1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting up. Probably simple but not to me

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by House, Jan 21, 2003.

1. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hopefully someone can advise on the best way to connect up the following kit. I am not opposed to buying any converters/cables if they maximise the picture.

Plasma LG MZ42PZ17
    Sony DavS-300
    Sky Digibox.
    VCR - Only if it's straight forward and not effecting anything else.

Naturally the Sony provides the DVD playing but also the Amp/Speakers for DVD, Sky and VCR. The best output is has is S-Video (spec here http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-sony-dav-s300-300-system-multi-region-dvd-player.html )
    If I am connecting the VCR I would like the option or recording also.

Please advise on the best way to connect it all up so it all plays/is heard to its best.

Thanks in advance

Mark.

2. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Incidentally the LG has the following outputs -
    Component video, S-Video and Composite video.

Mark.

3. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One option would be ....

DVD S-Video out --> S-Video to Scart lead --> Video Scart in
    Video Scart out --> Scart lead --> Sky VCR Scart in
    Sky Scart out --> Scart lead --> JS Box (RGB to Component)
    JS Box --> Component lead --> Plasma

Get the JS Box from here ...

http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/rgb-yuv/rgb-yuv.htm

Hopes this helps :)

[EDIT: Does any better?!]

4. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Once I decipher it Iam sure it will !

5. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Laskina,

Having drawn it out on paper - yes I needed too - I am fairly sure I have it.

Could I mail you the 'drawing' to check ?

Thanks.

Mark.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry guys, it won't work. Sky will give a picture with this but nothing else.

Does your screen have a VGA computer input too? 15-pin sub d socket. If so, you have a choice. Hopefully, you can connect the VHS to the DVD with a scart to composite + stereo audio lead, (scart to 3 phono) and it will hopefully output s-video from it, not good quality when watching VHS, but no worse than going straight from VHS.

Connect the DVD with an s-video lead to the plasma. You can now choose to switch sky with the DVD by connecting AV2 to the DVD with another scart to 3 phono, or you can connect the stereo out phonos to audio in on the DVD, and stick a JS component or VGA converter onto AV1, enabling RGB output on the Sky tv menu.

You will then have to change the input on the plasma to view sky, but you will be getting the best possible picture from each of your sources. Terrible shame you have no scart on the DVD. What were they thinking of?

7. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Maw, Thanks for your help.

8. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting to hear it wont work - I have nearly the exact same set up at home but the RGB Scart goes into my TV (CRT) rather than a JS box. All you do is turn off everything except the thing you want to watch, e.g. to watch Sky switch the Sony to Audio one and dont play a video, to watch a DVD switch the sony to DVD and turn off Sky.

Works for me - is it something to do with the JS box?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's because your TV can accept a comosite signal. The JS box has to have RGB to do it's stuff. You may notice abetter sky picture than others with your setup, but it doesn't matter so much unless your TV is a monster.

10. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Could you explain this part for me please. (sorry :eek: )

E.G What are AV1 and Av2 on ?

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ok, we need to clear a couple of points here!

Laskina,
    your scheme is fine for your TV as it will decode the composite feed, but my converters are only for RGB video. Without RGB you just get a black picture.

For you, I'd have a look how you've got your DVD player connected. Could you not have a more direct connection to your TV?

House,
    for the LG screens I recommend the RGB to Component converter. LG are not compatible with the RGB to Plasma VGA unit (see compatiblity chart on the website).

You've got three devices to connect to your screen:
    Sony DavS-300
    Sky Digibox.
    VCR

For the DAV and VCD use S-Video and Composite leads as appropriate. You're not loosing out on quality as this is the best signals they produce.

For Sky, the RGB to Component converter should be employed. Use the TV output set to RGB through the converter and in to the screen. Simple.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

12. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers John

Until the Minister of Internal Financial Affairs (the wife) gives me the go ahead I am suck with my 32" panny crt tv. However in the meantime I have invested in some IXOS cables to increase the pic quality and have ordered a quintro remote control scart controller to ease the cable management.

Therefore I will have my DVD (s-video), Sky (RGB), "hotbird" satillite (RGB), Gamecube (RGB) and VCR (composite) all going into the quintro controller via scarts - which then connects to my TV through a RGB scart.

Quick question - when I get a plasma can I simply take the current RGB scart from the quintro to the tv and plug it into one of your rgb to vga converters (with the vga going into the plasma)?

Cheers :)

13. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    John, thanks for your reply.

I fully see what you say regards simple connections for picture. What I am struggling to come to terms with is when I watch Sky or play a Vid how their sound will be output through the Sony Dav ?

Also this doesn't seem to lend itself to recording Sky.

Mark.

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, as long as there's RGB you'll get an excellent picture. Check the compatiblity chart (based on customer feedback) in the Plasma VGA section of the website.

For you DVD player, you might want to take the S-Video output direct to the screen. Depending on the screen you can connect the VCR's composite video in too (some displays can't take both concurrently).

Component conversion is always an alternative (and it's the essence of a Plasma VGA unit inside too - is is simply the best sync extractor). This is favoured by some to get the "just" zoom mode and to switch via a component video switching amplifier.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

15. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    To record from Sky, connect the VCR output to the VCR. It's handy but not essential if the VCR has two SCARTS. You can get leads which have six phonos, three for input and three for output. Get a little bit messy to connect these up, but not impossible.

For Sky, the interface boxes have audio outputs which can be connected to the DAV system. VCR you'd use two of the audio outputs to connect to the DAV system.

Thinking about this, I should maybe get some VCR interface cables built to help solve this....

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

16. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Once again thanks.

Just need the screen now !!

17. wjw

wjw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not entirely sure if this is the right point for this reply, but I have a Panasonic TW37PW4B plasma and I originally connected my Sky Plus box from its RGB scart into the panny tuner box and then the the screen RGB input. Picture very good. However I recently found it necessary to try something different and connected the Sky Plus S-Video output directly into the screen S-Video input. Picture even better. So, fewer boxes, fewer cables and better picure. Very wife pleasing.

Now have my Sony DVD also connected from its S-Vid output - again better picture on the plasma screen. Suprisingly its even better using this than connecting the DVD component output directly into the panny component input.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has tried - or can explain.

18. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Several have reported it's better to opt for a more direct route through 3rd party interface products than a tuner box. So you could probably improve even further if you were to use RGB or Component in to your screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have seen this for myself, a back to back demo. The panny tuner is not an upgrade, it's just convenient for some folks, it's a 'proper' TV with the tuner.