Connecting up my system

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by davidwatsonok, Jan 13, 2008.

1. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    So, a couple of new toys coming and I want to make the best of my set-up. A little help from you guys in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Here's where I'm at.....

Panasonic TH50PX60 - Audio output to amp via digital coax, is there any need to also run analogue phono's ? Aerial from 970.

Sony RDRHX970 DVD-R/HDD/FV - HDMI to TV, coax to amp, aerial in from VCR and on to TV.

VCR - Scart to TV, phono to amp, aerial in and on to 970.

Cable - Scart to TV, 2nd scart to VCR with Macrovision buster to allow recording of 'On-Demand' programming (possibly switch this to the 970). The audio phono outputs have never worked so we use the VCR to send audio to the amp, maybe the new box will remove this hassle.

Media HDD - Component to TV, digital coax to amp. Will I need analogue phono stereo ?

Am I duplicating any connections unnecessarily ?
    Would I be better splitting the aerial so each device gets it's own feed ?

Am I making the best of the equipment ? This is an important question for me as a friend has just done some experimenting with his set-up and found the picture from his upscaling DVD player was better through analogue component at 720p than through HDMI, stating that HDMI had unnatural colours and harsh edge definition (his words, I haven't yet seen his findings).

Open to the floor, and thanks in advance.

2. Jimbob123

Jimbob123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you, I would have the arial come straight from the wall into the Sony PVR. I have one of these, and you'll find the picture will worsen if it is fed through an analogue device first - try to keep it digital for as much as possible.

Does your TV have a built in digital tuner? If so, perhaps it's worth forgetting about using the VCR to record freeview and put it straight through to the custard, to keep the picture quality good. The Sony PVR is great - why bother recording onto VHS?

As for your friend, perhaps he should callibrate his telly picture. The colours probably apear more vibrant with more bleeding because the signal is stronger. Do you know how to use THX?

3. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I've used the THX Optimizer on my own set and was impressed to find that my own eyes had got me within a gnats of where it needed to be, although I don't have the filters for the finer colour settings.

I agree with your comments on the VCR, clinging to the past I suppose :rolleyes: I'll run it to the 970 and then to the TV :smashin: The TV has FV too.