1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Up My Sub Woofer - Sony STR-DB1080 and Equalising Via BFD

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rozel, Apr 3, 2003.

1. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

I took the delivery of my new Amp as above yesterday and want to know how to connect it up with my Sub properly. I also want to equalise it via a BFD also obtained this week using, if possible the ETF Software package on my LapTop and a SPL Meter. I have two questions: -

1. My Sub has both a left and a right Line input and the Amp has two Sub woofer outputs. Should I connect each of the line inputs on the sub to each of the outputs on the Amp or should I only utilise one Amp Output and using a 1 phono to 2 phono cable connect to the two inputs on the Amp?

2. Using the setup procedures in the following link I seem to be getting very near the correct setup procedure with my Laptop and SPL meter: -

http://www27.brinkster.com/jmag999/

In section 3.2 the diagram is confusing when it comes to connecting the Sub Woofer and Amp in readiness for measurement. At the bottom of the diagram you take the "Output from the BFD to the Sub Amp". What does this mean exactly? The diagram does not show the Sub Woofer or System Amp (ie; the Sony 1080 in my case) and I am confused. I'd rather use this method of measurement if possible rather than via a manual recording system utilising an Excel Workbook and wonder if some kind person could finish explaining these few connections for me so that I can get going.

Thank you in anticipation of your help

Paul

2. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,
    Read this at lunchtime and spent another hour tonight reading through and you're right, it doesn't make sense.
    It tells you to measure when there's no where left to connect the sub. :confused:

EFT Software on google group search got almost 9,000 hits so perhaps the answer's in there some where?

Be interested if you fathom it out as I'd considered borrowing a laptop from work to try it.
    Meanwhile back to the spreadsheet, Avia test tones and BFD fiddling. :)

Rgds

3. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There should be no real difference. I use two seperate connections, mainly because I didn't have a phono splitter. I also used just a single connection which worked just as well.

The sub takes a line level output from your amp, the BFD sits between your amp (which isn't amp'ing the sub output) and the amp for the sub. Most subs these days have a built in amp, so you just take the output from the BFD and connect it to the input on your sub.

4. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your reply rjw - you have explained the normal connections to my Sub - I used a splitter last night and things seemed to work but I will experiment today using both Sub Woofer outputs and see which performs the best.

As regards setting up with my BFD - I am more confused than ever - I apologise for appearing thick but I am new to this and I cannot make head nor tail of wiring up with my laptop although this will be my preferred method for taking measurement.

Your description again confuses me. My Sub Woofer has an inbuilt amp as you say - with no outputs that I am aware of. The inputs are used by the outputs from the System Amp (in my case the Sony 1080). Where exactly do you take the output from the BFD to? - especially if the inputs are being used by the System Amp?

Would it be possible to explain once more for me differentiating between the amp of the Sub - assume the Sub is just a Sub please (albeit active) and explain: -

1. where do you plug the output from the BFD to
    2. during measurement how is the Sub connected to your system amp

If it were possible a diagram would be handy - I think many people are confused and would prefer the speed of measurement that the ETF gives

Thankyou again

Paul

5. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi again - just to be sure - I am aware how to set up the BFD for normal use within my system ie; sitting it between my System Amp and my Sub - it is setting it up for measurement that is confusing me as per my original message - please refer to the link

Paul

6. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    All you do is connect the PC to the BFD instead of your AV Amp. Once you've finished calibrating, you reconnect the Amp.

7. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks again rjw - I think the penny is dropping!

Do I take it that not only is the PC measuring the signals from the Sub itself via the SPL meter but also generating the sound signals to input into it in the first instance?

Cheers again

Paul

8. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thats pretty much it.

9. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you so much rjw for your help here it's confusing at first but I've found that if you persevere long enough you get the solutions you were striving for - keep up the good work

Paul