1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting up a 1040 QM

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nickyrboy, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Nickyrboy

Nickyrboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi apologise for the novice nature of my question.
    I have had my sony 1040qm for about 6 months and have been using the composite video input. I understand that this is the last resort one should really use, the other options are the RGB inputs. But these use old BNC connections, i have 5 connections R, G/G SYNC, B, SYNC HD, VD. I have no idea if these can be connected up to a modern DVD player, i understand RGB will give a much improved picture so if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Cheers Nick

2. Nickyrboy

Nickyrboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been doing some more reading up apparently I will need a transcoder or scaler to use somponent signals from a dvd to the RGB inputs on my pj could someone give me a few details about exactly what these products do.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nickyrboy
    A transcoder will convert one type of signal to another. Typically they are referd to in home cinema for converting component YUV to RGB. this will then provide you with a type of signal your projector will receive.
    In your case it may be simpler to use a sync blaster cable to take the RGB signal from the scart socket. It needs a sync amplifier because there is no sync signal normally provided on a scart socket.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Nick, if your Sony has an S-video input then it would be worth trying that connection first. RGB is best, but 'S' is a big step up in quality terms from composite. :thumbsup:

Regards

5. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I used to have one of these. Shell out on a keene Syncblaster cable (scart to 5 bnc) and you will soon be enjoying a much better image courtesy of your RGBHV signal.

There is a wealth of basic info for older model Sony CRT PJs at the FAQ page of www.crtprojectors.co.uk