• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting two monitors from same graphics card

MarkJayne

Standard Member
I've recently noticed that my main PC monitor is stuck on 60Hz when I use the native resolution of 1600x1200. This causes some video playback to be a little jerky, so I've decided to use a seperate display for videos. I'm using a Nvidia 8800GTS with dual outputs. I connect them both up but can't get the second display to work (its an LG HD LCD tv. I can see it in the Nvidia control panel, but it still doesn't work. It will work if I disconnect the main monitor.

Any thoughts :confused:

Mark

senu

Distinguished Member
You have set up your graphic card to use dual monitors but "extending" the desktop?.This may work better than having 2 separate desktops
Im not sure if we have the same drivers but I also have a PC setup with dual screen running off an NVIDIA card with latest drivers and can set them up to use completely different resolutions, refresh rates , and overlay settings

DrMekon

Open Nvidia control panel, go to displays, and select set multiple displays, you can do this manually or via the wizard.. make sure both devices are on so that it will detect them..

I have a montior set up for pc, and my projector for watching films.. using the 2 dvi connectors on my 8800gts...

MarkJayne

Standard Member
Thanks guy's for the info but I found the problem. I was using a DVI connection with my main monitor, but a VGA with a DVI connector on the LCD screen. I had to use the VGA on the main monitor to get them both to work. I guess you have to use DVI on both or VGA on both, can't mix and match.

Oh well thats something learnt.

Thanks again,

Mark:)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom