1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting two dvd players

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by newjohn, Oct 29, 2005.

1. newjohn

newjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i have two dvd players one is surround sound one is not
    can i connect the two together so i can use the surround sound dvd
    as an amplifier and the other as a player and still get the 5.1 surround
    they do have optical and coaxal in/out

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Probably not. Can you provide a bit more information on the models and connectivity involved? Describing your DVD player as an amplifier is a bit odd. :)

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    if i am not mistaken i am guessing you have one standalone DVD player and a 5.1 system with a built in DVD player (amp-dvd player usually comes with 5 speakers and a sub) , if this is the case and you want to connect the DVD player to the TV and then carry the audio signal to the 5.1 system DVD player you can as long as you have an optical or coaxial input on the 5.1 system and the same out put on the stand alone DVD player. if you do not have those, if your 5.1 system has a 5.1 input and your DVD player has a 5.1 out put you can use this to connect the two together, then your stand alone DVD player carries the picture to your TV and the sound signal to your 5.1 DVD system which process the sound and out puts it, so it can be done, but if you gave specfic model numbers it would help.

4. newjohn

newjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply
    thats exactly what i wish to do,
    the reason is i will need a component output for a new projector
    and my stand alone dvd player has this but it has no surround sound
    i also have a second player with 5.1 surround built in but this hasn't the component connection i need for the picture
    so i will be using one player just for the aplifier
    the 5.1 system is a JVC-A35 with optical and coaxal in,
    the player is a JVC-M10 with optical and coaxal out,
    i may have another way to feed the projector directly from my surround system but the scart needs to output rgb any help on this would be appreciated also

5. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    i am not too familair with your exact equipment. but yeah you can do it, just get an optical cable to connect both of them up. i done it for my freind who has a Denon DVD player with component and also a Denon 5.1 DVD system.
    one annoying thing though, is that he has to choose "aux" on the 5.1 system to listen to the DVD palyer . but when he presses any buttons like, play , pause, rewind, etc it send out a signal that both machines ( because they are the same brand ) respond to, this then changes the 5.1 system out of the "aux" input and into the the built in DVD player in put, so he then has to get up to change the input back on the remote. small annoying thing, hardly major though, separte DVD players tend to be better than the built in ones on 5.1 kits. so i would defo conenct them up and use the seperate DVD player for picture