Connecting TVDrive to a HDD/DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by gcoops, Mar 26, 2006.

1. gcoops

gcoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody successfully connected their Telewest TVDrive to a HDD/DVD Recorder? If so, how?

I have a Pioneer 436XDE Plasma connected to the Telewest TVDrive by HDMI. I have a Panasonic DMR-95 HDD/DVD recorder conected to the Plasma by Component cables.

I have tried connecting the TVDrive box to the DMR-95 via Scart cables without much success. I was told that this may be due to copy protection.

Someone suggested I paid for a Scart cable that supposedly by-passes Macrovision Copy Protection. The picture does pass through but the quality is very bad and judders.

I know TVDrive has a menu option to copy to DVD and this does work but I would like to be able to record directly to the DMR-95 from TVDrive otherwise it can make getting a programme onto DVD a bit labourious - first recording it on the TVDrive Box; then transfering it to the DMR-95 HDD and then copying it from there to DVD. This is effectively making the process twice as long.

Apart from as a player, my DMR-95 (with it's 160GB HDD) is largely redundant.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has encountered a similar problem and have resolved it.

Thanks

Graham

2. lexmeister2

lexmeister2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can't remember where but I do remember reading somewhere that you can't record directly, only once its already been recorded to the TV Drive box

One question I've had is that is it possible to record things to a DVD that you've bought off Teleport? Movies, etc?

3. Ecom

Ecom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham,

The picture quality is just the same at my end, very bad and judders via the scart lead to my HDD recorder. Also in widescreen, but that's maybe down to my settings on the HDD recorder. I am currently watching Sin City HD however, and the quality of that over the scart is really good.

I would be interseted in others findings on this issue.

4. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Sorry, but I think the answer is no.

5. Ecom

Ecom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is possible, if you disable macrovision to your DVD recorder. ;)

6. gcoops

gcoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a scart lead with a Macrovision remover purchased from www.kbtv.co.uk but this doesn't seem to help.

So, unless someone an tell me differently I will now assume that the TVDrive cannot pass through directly to a HDD/DVD Recorder. Shame! I'll just have to accept that if I want to archive programmes I'll have to effectively record them twice. :thumbsdow

7. Ecom

Ecom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Liteon HHD recorder, with a macrovision hack on the firmware. This enables me to record from TVDrive, did Sin City yesterday. I will however still watch Sin City again via teleport in HD, becuase the quality was superb.

8. gcoops

gcoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Does that mean you are recording directly from the TVDrive to your Liteon HDD recorder without recording to the TV Drive first?

I can record to my HDD/DVD Recorder programmes that are stored on the TVDrive already by selecting the Copy to VCR/DVD option in the menu. Its recording to the HDD without recording to TVDrive in the first place that is causing the problem.

Also, how is your TVDrive connected? Mine is connected to the TV via HDMI, which appears to disable the Scart socket labelled TV, so I am connecting my HDD to my TVDrive via the DVD Scart socket (the bottom one).

9. Ecom

Ecom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yes, when recording Sin City there is no option on TVDrive to record the movie to the TVDrive first (at least not one I can find) this is because of the protection issue I assume, so I watched Sin City whilst recording direct to my Liteon.

On the TVDrive there is 2no scart outputs, one labelled TV, the other labelled VCR. The vcr scart outputs all the time, even when using the HDMI lead (this is as my set up). However, the output of the scart to the vcr looks very "choppy" and "jerky" (technical terms) when you watch the output on the TV, but when I recorded Sin City the quality was very good. This has been mentioned elsewhere on the forums.