1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting TV-XBOX-DVD-VIDEO-CABLE

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Bigpants2k, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Bigpants2k

Bigpants2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok I need some advice as I am very new to all this AV stuff and you have probably heard this all before, but here goes.

I have Sanyo 32" widescreen on the back it has 2 scart connections and on the front it has a little flip down lid with a yellow red and white connections.
    I also have a Sony DAV-S880 system, a X Box, a NTL cable box and a VHS Video player.
    At the moment I have a yellow ended cable going from the Sony to a scart converter into one of the scart connections on the back of my TV.

I have a scart cable going from my X Box to the other connection on the back of the TV with a red and white cable going from a little box half way down the X Box scart lead to the back of the Sony, this gives me sound from the Sony when I play X Box games.

The DVD has a optical audio digital out connection so can I use a optical cable from the X Box to go into this???

At the moment I don't have my video plugged into anything.

I can get sound and vision when I play DVD's but cant get sound through the Sony when I watch TV.

Is this the best way of cabling my systems up? do I need to buy anymore cables and if so which cables should I buy?.

Thanks for any help you can offer me.
    :D

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I assume that the Sony has S-video Din out and no SCART?
    The TV has RGB SCART on AV1 and S-video on AV2.

Ideally you want the optimum....

NTL via RGB, XB via RGB, DVD via S-Video. VCR simply plugs into the aux SCART on NTL STB so is not a problem.

Does your TV have a S-vdeo mini din socket on the rear?
    Probably has one on the front but not ideal for a permanent connection from the DVD.

If not you'll need an S-video din and 2 Audio phonos to SCART lead. Make sure that the direction of signal is going TO the SCART (some are switchable).
    This goes from the Sony to AV2 on the TV,

NTL requires a fully pinned RGB SCART lead to AV1.

The only problem is the X Box, as this needs to be RGB.

If your VCR has a second SCART then you can connect it there and simply daisy chain it to the TV via the VCR and STB.

As for 5.1 XB sound, you need an optical lead from the XB to the Sony. Does it have an optical input?

Incidentally, you can buy a good RGB SCART/optical audio kit from HMV for 12.99 (Joytech).

If your VCR doesn't have a second SCART then you will need to buy a SCART SWITCH BOX (Argos/Index 9.75)

HTH

3. Bigpants2k

Bigpants2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On the DVD it only has a optical out jack.

My Video has 2 scart connections on the back.

I dont have a S Video connection on the back of my TV either.

Also i have noticed that i am missing some of the picture when i watch TV, and when i use Teletext. Anything at the very top of the picture has gone and the sides too.

I have played around with the TV settings, Full picture etc etc and still have no joy.

Thanks for you help.

:D

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    The 'missing' picture is due to the RGB shift which occurs on most TVs. Newer ones allow you to adjust this.

Does the second SCART allow for S-Video?
    There should be either a switch on the TV or a setting on the menu if your TV has one.

If so then, like i said you'll need the lead I described before.

Your X-Box connects into the second SCART on your VCR via an X-Box RGB SCART lead. The VCR to your STB which connects to AV1 will also be set to RGB.

I'm surprised that your Sony All in one system doesn't have an optical or ciaxaial input for 5.1. If it doesn't then you won't be able to appreciate 5.1 from your X-Box.

5. Bigpants2k

Bigpants2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This may sound stupid but what is a ciaxaial input?

:confused:

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    oops! :blush: typo.

I meant coaxial. It's another way of connecting 5.1 digital sound rather than optical. It's a small round socket similar to a phono.

7. Bigpants2k

Bigpants2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2