1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting tv to s-video output

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jimnorton, Jul 27, 2004.

1. jimnorton

jimnorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. New here and great to see a board with this type of help.
    I recently got a graphics card Geoforce 5200 that allows me to view my monitor image on my tv. With the purchase of this, I got a small cable named composite to s-video converter to VGA. I have no idea what this cable does or if I even need it. On the back on my pc i have a s-video jack and i think my tv has a composite video cable (a yellow video output). I was wondering if i just needed a composite video cable to plug into my tv and a s-video adapter cable to put in the back of my pc.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's a passive converter from composite to S-Video signal and vice versa. If you need it would depend on the in- and outputs of the equipment you will use.

You can use said converted then, S-Video into the PC and composite end into the TV (yellow jack) - it must be an input though at the TV.
    If the TV has Scart use a Composite (jack) to Scart (Composite) adapter cable, joined with your converter cable.
    If the TV supports S-Video input via Scart get a different adapter cable, i.e. S-Video to Scart (S-Video), this will give you better quality than a Composite connection.