Connecting TV to PC.

S

s.w_1983

Hi,

I would like to connect my Sony LCD up to my PC :thumbsup:

What cable (Name of cable etc) and adaptors do I need? My graphics card has 2x DVI.

My TV has a traditional D-Sub connection and a small circular connection on the TV, I'm pretty sure I have TV-out on my graphics cards, but isn't VGA/DVI better as an output?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)

Links, what to 'google' for etc...

Cheers,

SW.

Chris Muriel

If the D-Sub on the TV is a standard 15-pin VGA port, and assuming that 1 of your DVI outputs on the graphics card is DVI-I , you can get a VGA output from it.
So a DVI-I to standard VGA lead would do the trick ; alternatively you can get a DVI-I to VGA (D-Sub) adaptor and then interconnect the 2 using a standard 15-pin VGA cable.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

S

s.w_1983

Okay, in the end I bought a DVI-HDMI lead which didn’t give too good a picture, so I abandoned it in favour for one of your suggestions: VGA lead with DVI adaptor to the VGA connection on the TV :thumbsup:

The picture is superb, but doesn’t fit, but you can pan up/down, left/right?

I was just wondering if this is normal, or if there is a setting that I can adjust to get the TV to display the PC picture in full screen :cool:

Cheers,

SW.

Chris Muriel

Not knowing which resolutions your Sony supports through the VGA input I can't tell you which setting to use.
Your Sony manual should tell you.
(You didn't state which model you have).
Then try adjusting your PC graphics card's resolution settings to match this.
Depending on which graphics card you have, there may be a dedicated utility to do this ; otherwise Start-> Settings-> Control Panel->Display Properties->Settings or a right click on a blank area of your desktop may get you straight to Properties -> Display Properties

Chris Muriel, Manchester

S

s.w_1983

I've got the KDL-26S2010 and manual says 1366 x 768 :)

So I should try to get my graphics card to dispaly that resolution then?

I'm using an nVidia graphics card, so all the settings should be in the right :rolleyes:

And by the end, I should have a full picture displaying?

Thanks,

SW.

azirath

Standard Member
You should aim for 1366x768(or 1360x768).

I would suggest downloading Powerstrip as it has the correct timings.

If you get 1366x768 1:1 pixel mapped it will fill the entire display, but thats unlikely on a Sony, but you can then use Powerstrip or the NVidia drivers to compensate for overscan/underscan.

M

meggo

Brilliant, i've been searching around and am about to buy the same tv (kdl-26s2010) for the same purpose (connect to pc:) ) and was wondering if you could fill me in:lease: .
I was wondering how the pic quality from pc is like
Also if it suffers gaming lag (hope ur a gamer)
and could you fill me in on how it is in general plz:)

Hope you see this, If you could reply I would be HUGLY in your debt, thanks

S

s.w_1983

meggo said:
Brilliant, i've been searching around and am about to buy the same tv (kdl-26s2010) for the same purpose (connect to pc:) ) and was wondering if you could fill me in:lease: .
I was wondering how the pic quality from pc is like
Also if it suffers gaming lag (hope ur a gamer)
and could you fill me in on how it is in general plz:)

Hope you see this, If you could reply I would be HUGLY in your debt, thanks
The picture as a TV and as a monitor is great :thumbsup:

10/10.

I haven't had the chance to try out any games on it yet - I'll probably wait for Pro Evo 6!

If your using it as a stand-alone monitor that should be fine, but if your going to use it with a standard monitor as well you may have problems like I had with the conflict of resolutions? Eg. The TV supports 1366x768 witch normal Graphics cards and PC monitors do not.

Hope this helps.

SW.

azirath

Standard Member
I wouldnt buy a Sony if the main purpose is a PC connection, they usually dont give you 1:1 pixel mapping with either DVI/HDMI or VGA.

LG is much more PC friendly(ie 1:1 pixel mapping) through DVI->HDMI, and Samsung gives 1:1 over VGA.

M

meggo

I found the answer (http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Sony+TVs). Its a Bravia S series and doesnt support 1:1 pixel mapping through HDMI, only VGA. I suppose this explains why you got sush a poor image with a DVI to HDMI adapter. Hrrm, now i'm not too sure, I was kinda planning on using the HDMI port, but if the VGA port is good enough then I could always use the HDMI for a ps3 (Pipe Dream). Unless anyone knows a hdtv (26" wide ish) that would suit better? Oh and Thanks for the info by the way!

azirath

Standard Member
Quality wise VGA is 'good enough' for 1366x768, but it feels stupid to buy a digital display and not use a digital connection :). HOWEVER, with HDCP protected highdefinition material coming, you risk not being able to play HD-DVD and Bluray, as that will only be possible(thats the intention anyway) over HDMI/DVI with HDCP.

M

meggo

I know what u mean, it would feel a bit silly. Do u know if the ps3 will support HDCP over the HDMI, cos by the the time Blu-ray is the standard format I should have enough money for one:D .By the way thanks for all the info.
P.S. was just checking out some prices and a lot of the spec sheets said it only goes up to 720p!! can you confirm, I was really hoping for a 1080i tv