Connecting - tv/dvd/sky/

W

wogit

Just got a toshiba 32zp18q.

Could somone advise me as to the best connections for both best sound and vision with the following equipment :-

Toshibe 520E DVD

Sony Sky digibox

Also please advise on what cables i need and which makes.

Cheers

Wogit

Should be easy..

According to Toshiba website you have Component Inputs.. so

Option 1.. for best connections possible

SKY
Plug into SCART Socket1, and set SKY to output RGB, this is done under the SERVICES->SYSTEM SETUP->PICTURE SETTINGS->VIDEO OUTPUT on the sky box..
Then plug the optical audio output of the sony sky box into the optical audio input on the TV.

DVD
Plug into Component Video sockets on TV (These are the 3 phono plugs that are coloured Red/Green/Blue... there are matching sockets on the DVD player..
Then connect the coaxial audio digital output of the DVD player to the same socket on the TV...

As for makes of leads... thats harder.. what is your budget.. there are leads available for all budgets, from £30 to £300...

Before you splash out loads of dosh on cables why don't you see how you get on with some basic ones.

For scart cables you want fully wired, individually shielded and preferrably gold plated. You can pick these up for £10+. Homebase had some decent quality scarts with a nice locking mechanism for around a tenner the last time I looked.

For component cables, dare I suggest that 3 x 75ohm video phono leads from Maplins at £2.50 each would do the job. The same 75ohm video phono leads work well for coaxial digital cables; however I think your telly only has optical digital inputs, not coaxial.

If you want to spend more on cables then by all means do so. Thor, QED and IXOS are brands that seem to get recommended around here.

Thanks for that i will try and buy some cables at the weekend. The TV is great but the connections and settings have sometimes baffled me.

Another queiry, by connecting my sony skybox like this what will it do with the sound as opposed to just connecting it via a scart?

Cheers

Wogit

Wogit, connecting sound via a digital interface (either co-ax or optical) allows you to use the Dolby Digital 5.1 capabilities of your TV. If you connect via scart only, you will only get prologic surround sound.

(Your telly appears to have both co-ax and optical inputs, so I was wrong in saying that it only has optical).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom