Connecting tv, dvd recorder and vcr

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Barbara2001, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Barbara2001

Barbara2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Forgive me if I am asking something that has already been answered, but I have read through most of the questions and replies and not found a specific solution.

I have thousands of video tapes which I have to transfer to DVD before I am pushed out the house due to lack of space.

I hope to set up a stand-alone system, independent of our everyday system (Sky digibox, tv, dvd player, vcr) so the transferring doesn't disrupt new recordings/watching.

I have bought a Toshiba tv (2 scarts), Sanyo vcr (2 scarts) and LiteOn LVW-5005 DVD recorder (2 scarts). As the outside aerial is connected to the everyday system, I used a boosted indoor aerial.

What I can't fathom out is the best way to connect the tv, dvd rec. and vcr using scarts. The DVD rec. and the vcr both play back okay, but don't seem to want to talk to each other.

Suggestions most welcome. Thank you.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Scart from VCR to DVD Recorder and another from DVD Recorder to the TV should work if all you want to do is copy your video tapes onto DVD using the TV as a monitor.

If you are having problems it could be in the various settings in the DVD Recorder if you have to set the video signal type, as your VCR will be outputting a composite signal and not RGB.

3. Barbara2001

Barbara2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Many thanks for the prompt reply. I will try that and see what happens.

4. Barbara2001

Barbara2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    We can now record the picture (good quality) from tape onto DVD but the sound doesn't record on the DVD. Help please!

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you are using a fully wired scart cable and not an "RGB scart" that doesn't have any sound pins connected I am afraid that I am flummoxed as the scart should be carrying both pictures and sound from the VCR to the DVD recorder.