1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting tosh dlp to pc help plz

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kourosh, Mar 14, 2005.

1. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    im having a nightmare :suicide: who can help me with a step by step :lease:
    im connecting via dvi to hdmi i got a picture the first time but it was the wrong resaloution when i changed it the computer restarted itsef and kept doing so saying video mode not supported please help im going mad with trying :lease: thanks

2. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Start it in safe mode, change the resolution back and start again.

3. mdekkers

mdekkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having the same issue just now :-( restarted in safe mode, removed my drivers, reinstalled the drivers (they won't work anymore due to a .net issue that invented itself) did manage to get my WDM display drivers installed for the card (ATI RADEON X850XT PE) but it all looks like crap.

Overscan (not an issue when I connected with VGA), ugly picture, all kinds of hassles.....

Also, anybody know the native resolution for the tosh - looking to get 1:1 pixel mapping. is it 1280x720p or 1920x1080p?

Cheers,

Martijn

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Would powerstrip help you guys out? I have a X800XT PE and a RD65 and I have no poblems at all. I use powerstrip to combat the region 1 judder. I have a small overscan of about 1% which isnt noticeable. I have to set my RD65 to accept pc input via the DVI and up it pops.

5. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    my problem is i cant get anything on the screen at the moment razor but what is powerstrip?

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Power strip is a great little program which will allow you to make any resolution or refresh rate/frequency you require. I use it to output 50hz (ATI divers only go down to 60hz) at 1280 x 720. It also adjusts the speed of audio play back so it sync's with the picture.

Its a free program here is the link.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

There is an another program which will automatically detect your monitor/display and tell you what resoultion etc it supports. Here is the link.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

I beleive someone else had a similar problem to you with the tosh, I remember reading it in these forums. I am sorry I dont have the link.

7. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you saying u cannot c anything on your monitor or your DLP set ?
    if it is your moniter start in safe mode change the resolution to one your moniter supports & restart ur PC
    If it's still no good u might want to give system restore a try.

8. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i have a tosh and run at 1280/768 which gives a cracking pic,Razor sorted it for me as i had the same probs setting up you need to make sure your refresh rate is 60hz and and that you havent got your res set any higher than 1280 when you boot pc through tosh or you wont get a pic at all,what i would suggest is to hook pc back up to a monitor get the settings as above and then try again,i connect via vga cable now but did have it via dvi and it was fine res was at 1920/something?have ge-force 6800 gt and and set tv as h/d tv in card settings
    sheep.

9. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    thanks razor,st ve and sheep i will try again when i get home from work the problem is where im not to clever on the pc it makes it a bit more complicated cheers :thumbsup:

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Kourosh

I hope you get it working, the pic quality is very good through the DVI especially on HD material. If you are still having problems let us know but hopefully you should be alright.

Sheep

Glad I could help :)

11. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I you have problems displaying anything, just first make sure that you remove the cable from PC to the Toshiba at first.

Sometimes the autodetection doesn`t work right and will take the Tosh as primary display and maybe disable your TFT as primary display ( gets the secondary display)
    And maybe if you have the wrong resolution the Tosh won`t display anything.

PLZ try it

my suggest would be : remove cable from Tosh, than reboot the PC...

tell me your results. at first you need to have a signal on your normal display

12. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    hoooray ive done it(it took me blimming long enough :suicide: )just 1 thing ive got about half a inch missing all the way round the screen is it meant to be like that ive got the res at 1280x720 is that the right 1 ? thanks every 1 for the help ive just been watching the hidef demo's amazing :thumbsup:

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Kourosh

Use power strip to resize your display settings, you will have to tinker around untill you get the required setting.

Glad you got it working. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

14. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    i tried using it but as soon as i have anything on the dlp screen u cant adjust the settings its as if its locked i prob need more messing about time with it and get used to it but your help has been great razor ;) thanks its something for us all to lookward to when sky,hidef dvd and blue ray become available :thumbsup:

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
  16. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    thanks razor :thumbsup: :beer: :beer:

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya: :hiya: :smashin:

18. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Guys - I have an ATI 9800pro with VGA & DVI and i've got VGA to work a treat with my new 46" Toshiba at 1280x768@60Hz. I've watched HD demos and played HL2 and its fantastic :thumbsup: I didn't need powerstip as my display properties include an extended ATI control panel which allows me to set the exact resolution and refresh rate. I could also use this to resize & re-position the display so there was no overscan. :clap:

BUT I now want to try out the DVI connection using a DVI to HDMI cable. However I can't get it to work at all. I think i've tried everything but I must be missing some simple step as I can't get anything to appear on the Toshiba via HDMI. I've tried the same display settings as I've used via VGA but no go. I've even setup a second monitor but whenever I hook up the HDMI my PC chimes and my CRT goes blank - as if the graphics card can only support one display at a time. (Just had a thought - the resolutions are different - maybe I'll try them the same). :confused:

So i'm stuck. I know it must be possible because others have posted how great the pciture is but I need help. :lease:

Cheers
    KableMan

19. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I thought the 9800 was duelhead?

To start this off I'll give you the settings on mine. Radeon x800xtpe using Omega catalyst 4.1. I've found these to be very stable and fast, no problems at all.

Do you see DOS/ROM boot screen and then XP boot screen on DVI?

Under display properties:
    Monitor 1 is VGA. Set as extended desktop. 1280x1024@60hz
    Monitor 2 is DVI Secondary. Set as primary device. It recognises the set as 720x480@50hz, yes 50.

Make sure that you plug the VGA(or monitor) and the DVI in as well to start. Start powerstrip. Set the secondary to the advanced custom timing shown attached 1920x1080i PAL or 1280x720p DVI/HDCP derived. Reboot and it all starts just just fine. You can then transfer back to a monitor if you want, which is what I did until I got booted out the front room.

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Mrmoo did you know catalyst 5.2 is now out. Upgraded today.

21. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Cheers, I'll have a look round. I'm always reluctant to upgrade until its been out a while, I hate stripping them out when they're rubbish. If I get one that works I tend to leave it alone for a couple of months. I've always used Omega, I like Radlinker is a clever utility.

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Seems fine so far :)

23. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey mrmoo - thanks for the help i'm now typing this post via DVI->HDMI on my Toshiba :thumbsup: !! It took me a while as I kept getting the two monitors mixed up and at one point I even had them both claiming to be both primary and secondary displays!!!! :eek:

The key was the 720x480 res - it was the first thing that ever showed up on the Toshiba via HDMI - 50Hz didn't show up as an option but 60Hz worked ok. I was then able to set 1280x720 in powerstrip (and later the normal windows display settings) but 1980x1080i didn't seem to work? I may try it again tomorrow. :confused:

The only remaining issue is overscan - all the edges are out. I can't see the time in the bottom right and only half the start bar appears!? :( I've tried adjusting the size/position in powerstrip but this causes a blank screen and then eventually it resets to the overscanned desktop. Any ideas how I can correct this?

Thanks for the help its much appreciated :smashin:
    Cheers
    KableMan

24. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah, search the Toshiba menu's one says something like PC position. Fiddle with it, mine moves in OK. Shrink it to the centre first then expand to the edges. The reason it drops out is when you move the frame around your messing with the refresh rate. Keep the powerstrip settings within the 30/60 25/50 range.

This pic shows it running 1980x1080i@50Hz, ignore the brightness that's so you can see the frame edges.

25. orlaborla

orlaborla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello mrmoo

is the hdmi noticeably better than the VGA pc input? If so it should be excellent as the pc input is impressive. Do you have TV via the hdmi? And do you have young kids? I thought I saw a kiddie guard in front of the TV. After many years of having a kiddy guard it was a great relief to get rid of it when my kids were old enough. Even with one, mysterious hand prints still used to appear on
    the screen, but judging by the denials, it must have been the tooth fairy.

26. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi mrmoo - the size/position options are not available in HDMI mode. They only seem to be available when connecting via VGA. I've tried just about every 1980x1080i mode I can and none work :( I can only get 1280x720p to work but the overscan all around make it unusable :thumbsdow Also all the HD demo's including the Madagascar DIVX look worse via HDMI :eek: - more grainy and the colours in skys and oceans look more like an ordinance survey map with contour lines - is this because its showing up floors in the material? But I thought these demos were 720p and 1080i?? I guess it could be the video card or cable? Can I improve such things with my settings? They look excellent via VGA :thumbsup:

I can't try my new PS97 DVD player with HDMI because parcel force have failed to deliver it twice now :mad: !!

Thanks for all your help anyway
    Cheers
    KableMan

27. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Sorry if this has been posted before. How do I get my laptop to fit the whole screen ie wide screen at the mo i only have it 4.3?
    Also should I be able to output hi def with my graphics card, it's a GeForce FXTM Go5200 128mb? Ive downloaded the demos but as soon as I play them on the laptop the TV goes blank, any ideas?

Thanks

Dean

28. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That might have more to do with how powerfull your laptop PC is. If you look on the microsoft site where you can download the demo's there is information on the minimum spec needed
    :)

29. orlaborla

orlaborla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi DPM

Regarding the 4:3, have you tried resizing using the Toshs's remote screen size button. On PC input you can switch between 4:3 and WIDE. You may then have to juggle with the aspect ratio your card or capture software is displaying.

30. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Thought I have tried the remote aspect button. Ill try it again tho, could be wrong as I was hung over at the time.

Looking at the specs my laptop is capable of the HD output. I might be being a tit but would it work useing a standard VGA monitor cable?

Thanks for the help guys.