Connecting Tosh 37WLT58

sam1974

Standard Member
Hi

Im sorry if this is such a noobie question but any help would be appreciated.

I have a tosh37wlt58 and a panasonic all-in-one 5.1 DVD player with component outs only (red white yellow?).

As I only need to send a picture to the TV I just need to connect 1 cable (yellow) but looking at the tv the only place is AV5 which is on the side of the set instead of hidden away with all the other connections.

Is this the right socket or have I missed a slot, also can someone tell me what the blue coloured socket can be used for - is this any use to me.

I assume the best way to get the sound from my TV back into my 5.1 is the audio out which are hidden away.

Also as HD dvd players are now starting to appear is it really worth spending money on a good yellow cable now. I assume if I buy a HD DVD player then I will not be using component leads/slots. I currently use a cheap Argos yellow cable

All very confusing......

Thanks

Sam

cactusbob

The red, white and yellow connectors are stereo audio and composite video. Not the same as component, in fact possibly the worse way to hook a player up. Do you have any other outputs on your DVD player? What model is it?

CB

Glenzo

Hi either grab a Component Lead which has Red, Green and Blue plugs at both ends to connect providing your DVD Player has Component out, OR

Grab a Toshiba SD 350E HDMI/Component DVD Player £60 on Amazon and an AV Receiver form Amazon or Richer Sounds about £100-£120 for DD/DTS. These do perform better sonically than an all in one and consist of better sound producing components. The Tosh, or equivalent DVD Player will give you great Pic and Sound and in the interim you can see images upscaled to 'High Definition' on the LCD via HDMI connection.

I figure if it was me if and I spent all the money for an LCD/Plasma, I'd go that extra yard to compliment it. But then that's me:devil:

A note in my opinion on the forthcoming HD-DVD Players, they're gonna cost a bomb by the look of things and will they take off so quick at £400 per player??

sam1974

Standard Member
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

So I guess I have composite connections. The only other connection on the back is an S-video.

Not sure what the model number is but the system is about 7 years old. It still sounds very good though with full 5.1 DTS/Dolby Digital. It also doubles up as our Hi-fi in the lounge. I know seperates are the way to go but the cobwebs in my wallet prevent me.

I do have a red,white, and yellow leads but on my old set they then plugged into a scart lead which then went into scart 1. As I only need pircture to the set I have dropped the red and white.

Will I be better using the s-video lead instead?

I have been toying with an upscaling DVD player (at £60 that is less than a Friday night out in Leeds!) but I don't want to loose my 5.1. The speakers on the TV are only average.

Appreciate the help guys..

Thanks

Sam

cactusbob

The S-Video would give you the best connection out of what you have. You can get a S-Video to SCART adaptor which you can plug into scart 3 on the TV which is S-Video capable.

Something like this would do the job:

adapter

CB

sam1974

Standard Member
Hi cact

Thanks for your help.

If I have an s-video connection on the TV should I go s-video to s-video or will I be better converting to scart?

Thanks

Sam

cactusbob

Either will give you the same sort of quality, but on the Tosh you can hide the cables behind the covers if you use the SCART, whereas the S-Video socket will give you a cable sticking out the side.

CB

Glenzo

:thumbsup: Hi Sammy, good idea with the upscaling DVD Player.

Soundwise and budget wise, for my downstairs set up I bought an Acoustic Solutions DS833 Home Theatre/Cinema system with DTS/DD and PL2 for £80 in Argos.

It's an excellent example of sheer quality for next to nothing and has a great little credit card remote. I really love it and it performs brilliantly as I suppose the components internally process the sound in the same way as an AV Receiver. It's got a good array of inputs too!

Here's a pic link (if interested try EBAY, as I've seen them listed there)

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ac/acoustic-solutions-ds833.jpg

Acoustic Solutions also have a complete range of these systems but at the time when I got this one I liked the build and appearance of it.

sam1974

Standard Member
Hi Guys

Thanks for the help and info.

Think Im going to buy a SD350e of amazon.

Send picture via HDMI and send sound to my Panasonic all-in-one. The panny has red/white sound inputs so if the Tosh has sound out that should work. Otherwise I will send the sound out from my set.

That way I get an upscaling DVD and still get 5.1 sound to all my speakers.

I know this is probably not the best config but will do for now until I have the cash for a receiver and speakers. The next thing on my shopping list is an xbox360

One thing at a time......

Cheers

Sam

nick501

Distinguished Member
why dont you get a Xbox 360 first and see what the DVD PQ is like? I have the 360 and the tosh and the 360 PQ is quite good actually.

Although it doesn't upscale you'll find the tosh gives the best picture at 576p anyway......just a thought.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom