1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting to XBOX live thru private connection.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by JUS, Mar 10, 2003.

1. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    We have a broadband connection at home. The wifes company pays for it :smashin: BT set the box and the connection up but I think it connects to the wifes company rather than a standard ISP.

We are free to surf without restrictions and our home page is not even the wifes company's site.

So can I use it for Xbox live ? I asked the Mrs but she fobbed me off with a "no, it's a private line" which I translated as "no I don't want you playing games any more than you do now".

So can I connect, what do you think ? :devil:

Jus.

2. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Don't fret! I'm an IT director. I do this all the time.

Your wife's company has simply instructed BT to install ADSL for you at home and to bill them for the rental. A direct link to your wife's company would be completely pointless and cost £1000's per year, and £100's to set up. ADSL costs £30 a month!

You can do what you like with the ADSL link and it won't affect your wife's work, and the company will never know. There is NO way for them to know. It is "your" line, paid for by her company.

Get networking and get X-Box on line :)

Roger

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    :clap:

Thanks Dodgy. I'm going to rush out to the shops at the weekend and get myself a pack.

That's sooo cool. XBox live for free :rotfl:

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    you still have to pay m$ tho :(

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Oh yea. Forgot about that. I guess thats just a regular direct debit or credit card payment

6. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With Xbox live you pay your £40, then, when you sign on you enter your card details. Don't worry, this is so they can charge you in 1 years time for the next year. As for the LAN - I wholy recommend the Netgear DG814 router (if your ADSL is "presented" as Ethernet you can simply plug your xbox in without this, but you will temporarily knobbel her web access whilst you are playing). If not, then the DG814 will be your ADSL modem, your network router, your DCHP server, and a 4 port 100Mb switch.

Have fun. Feel free to ask for help

Roger

7. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I wouldn't be so sure, BT and a number of BT resellers offer a service that VPN's the DSL directly into the corporate network, the company I work for does this.

It will work as long as the ports mentioned in the XBox docs on www.xbox.com are open. Which may not be the case.

Neil.

8. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes MR IT DIRECTOR...Becareful about the advice you provide. I have designed and implemented several private xDSL (And all the other types of networks you can think off) for both data and voice and combined use.

Without knowing the exact configuration of the router you can't tell this for certain. As ADSL is slooooooowly becomming available in the UK is it very likely. BUT.....

If there is a connection to the company network from the ADSL line, 'the wife' should have some security tokens. SecureID keys are very popular and effective. If not, better not publish the name of the company here.....

Regards,

Jean-Paul de Jong

9. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    dejongj,

So how can I find all this out and Whats a security token?

I don't type a password to use the thing.

Jus.

10. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that is the interesting thing. If I knew the setup for your wife to access her company that it wouldn't be that secure would it.

(Please forgive the sarcastic tone, it has been a long day. I mean it well).

Considering the fact that you don't have to use anything to use the Internet there could be a couple of explanations:
    1. It is a standard ADSL line and then everything is fine.
    2. A connection has been setup using digital keys for identification so that the exchange of security tokens happens transparently. Not very secure as anyone in your house could access the network.
    3. Security to access work for your wife is only done through userid and password (potentially some IP filtering if your account has a fixed IP address). Also not very secure.

Anyway the important point is that you seem to be able to use it for your purpose which is good. I just wanted to point out to Dodgey that his answer was Dodgey unless he knows your personally and thus might have insider knowledge of the configuration.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

11. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy enough to check. Does she use a fully-blown mail client like Outlook (not express)? Can she access her office networked drives like you would access any other drive? Is there a small icon in the sys-tray that has any names like vpn, checkpoint, ike, 3-des, encryption in the name or settings? If so, she will almost certainly be using VPN over a normal ADSL link.

You can do a simple test to see if it is indeed going through a corporate firewall. Just install Kazaa and Audio-Galaxy satellite (file sharing programs). If you can get both to work OK then there is little chance you are going via her business, either that or her admins don't lock down their firewall much.

At the end of the day, it is far more likely she has a normal ADSL link than anything else and your £40 for Xbox live is a small investment to find out.

12. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Even if it is through a VPN, if there is a separate ADSL router and VPN device you could plug the Xbox directly into the router and bypass the VPN connection.

13. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I wish I knew what you guys were talking about :(

Dodgy, By the sounds of it we have a normal adsl line. I'll go and buy the pack.

BT have connected us to broadband so now all the phone connections in my house have to have a filter for the phone line. Does that mean I'd have to get a second phone line to get BB for Live if I can't use the wifes?

Thanks for you help everyone.

14. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you have a normal ADSl line then Live will work fine.

Otherwise you'll need another line, yes.

Should work fine though from the sound of things.

15. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    OK. I think I'm almost there. I've manually set up my IP Address, DNS stuff and MAC Address. The connection tester reports my IP and DNS settings are OK. I now get the error msg telling me "Xbox Live not Found". It also tells me it is either...

1. Verify Max Transmission Units on your router is 1365 or greater.
    2. Your ISP may require extra steps.

I haven't get a clue how to check either. Dodgy/Sam, can you help me out here please?

Thanks for any help...

Jus

Looking on xbox.com it tells me...

You may receive this error message for any of the following reasons:

Something along the Internet path to the Xbox Live servers is down.

The Xbox Live servers are down. (They are not).

Your ISP is experiencing a network outage. (it is not)

Contact your ISP to determine whether they are experiencing network problems. (They are not)

Your router's built-in firewall is blocking the ports required for Xbox Live.

16. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    JUS,

Until the experts arrive....

I had a similar probelm, found that by lowering my Firewall security to medium cured it.
    Maybe worth a go...

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

:)

17. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It looks as if the ports that Live uses are being blocked.

UDP port 53
    TCP port 53
    UDP port 88
    UDP port 3074
    TCP port 3074

Consult the documentation on your firewall/router and see how to open up these ports.

Try that and let us know... :)