Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Connecting to Xbox live- Linksys WET11?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by alshooter, Dec 30, 2004.

1. alshooter

alshooter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm trying to hook up my Xbox to play online and am a bit confused. Apologies for my lack of technical knowledge but some help would be appreciated!

I've already got my Wanadoo internet connection plugged in via a USB modem into the back of my PC. To connect the wife's laptop online wireless I previously (with headaches all round) installed a Netgear WG311 Wireless PCI Card into my PC and a Netgear WG511 wireless card into her laptop to allow the internet connection to be shared.

Ideally I'd like to connect the Xbox wirelessly as well, maybe using the Linksys WET11 Wirless Ethernet Bridge.

My question is can I just plug this straight into the Xbox and go or do I need any other bit of kit (a router or something connected to my PC) to make it all work. I gather that at the very least this way my PC needs to be on to play online. Or is there any better solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Al

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,134
    I think you might have problems here.

It sounds like you've got a peer to peer network running between your PC and laptop.

To add your WET11 into this is difficult as I'm not sure you can have three members in a peer to peer network. (Although hopefully someone will post that I'm wrong about this). I'm pretty sure you will have to look at getting a proper wireless access point to act as a hub for your network. This will be a pain to get working with a USB modem, so your best bet would probably be to get an all-in-one ADSL modem / router / access point. For ease of setup you will need to have at least one PC with an ethernet port while you are configuring this.

I've got the Netgear 834G and it is an excellent piece of kit.

It might make more sense for you to look at getting the Linksys equivalent as (usually) sticking to the same manufacturer for everything makes life easier.