1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting to the PTAE-100 via S-Video?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by InsideOutBoy, Jul 5, 2003.

1. InsideOutBoy

InsideOutBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I’ve just ordered the (hopefully operational) Panasonic PTAE-100 and it’s on its way to my house as I type. But as this is my first step into the wonderful world of projectors, I have a question or two.

At the moment I have my various consoles, and DVD player going to into a SCART switcher box, with an RGB lead going to the back of my TV.

Unfortunately the projector doesn’t have a RGB socket, so I can’t keep this convenient set-up.

However, the projector does have an S-Video socket, and I was wondering if it would be possible to swap my RGB lead (which is going from the switch-box to the now redundant TV) for a new lead with a SCART plug on one end, and an S-Video plug on the other end?

Could I plug the S-Video end in my projector and still get a RGB quality images, (assuming I bought a nice expensive lead), whilst still using my switcher box?

Obviously when I can afford a progressive scan capable DVD player, this set-up will have to change anyway, but for the moment the thought of having to individually swap the leads around every time I want to play a game strikes fear in my lazy soul.

PS) I’ve spent all my pocket money on the projector for now, so I’ll have to wait until I can afford a projection screen. In the meantime I have no option but to shine the image onto my white, but bumpy wallpaper. I expect this makes the picture almost unwatchable. Would I be right?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope :( You'd need an RGB to S-video coverter as mentioned here before - use the search function top right. Otherwise you'll just be passing a composite signal.

.....err, you'll be best placed to answer this when you get your AE100 :D

BTW, welcome to avforums ;)

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Most consoles (Xbox, PS2 - not Gamecube) support s-vid with the correct lead as do most DVD players.

The trouble is, bying 2-3 decent new cables is gonna cost you nearly as much as the RGB -> S-vid adaptor (around 75 quid I think).

Projecting against a while wall should provide reasonable results. If your stuck for cash. Go to Ikea and get there 2 meter Tupplur blackout blind in white for around 20 quid. Amazing screen for the money.

4. InsideOutBoy

InsideOutBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, especially about that Ikea blind. I might have to grab one of those.

Anyway, after searching through some older topics, I found a link to www.rgbtosvideo.com and the ‘RGB to Component Video Converter’ they’re selling for (a pretty steep) £145.

This gave me an idea, which might work, but might not. I’ve tried to explain this in sequence, because it’s confusing enough for me, let alone for any poor chap who actually reads it. ;)

Possible set-up:

1) DVD player, games consoles, etc going into a SCART switcher box.
    2) The end of the SCART switcher box going into that flashy new Component Video Converter.
    3) Component Video Converter coming out and going into the projector (via a component video lead obviously).

Would that work and still allow me to use my SCART switcher box to choose what I want to watch, and get lovely image quality via component video?

Sorry if that doesn’t make a lot of sense. :)

5. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Yes, that would work and would give you the best possible quality. It's a route i'm considering myself but I need to save some pennys first :(

Looks like another item i'll have to buy by stealth due to the wife cracking up because of the amount of money I spend on this hobby/addiction :)

6. InsideOutBoy

InsideOutBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That’s great news. Now I only need to buy 1 component video lead and that converter thingy instead of about 4 pricey leads for my various toys, plus a new component friendly DVD player. My bank balance might just survive the month yet. :rolleyes:

On the down side, the converter will demand another plug socket from my already heaving sockets, but I’ll find a way to fit it in if it kills me (possibly by electrocution).

Ah well, at least it’s small(ish). But if she ever discovers it, you just know there's no way on heaven or earth she’ll understand. Best keep it quiet me thinks. :)

7. InsideOutBoy

InsideOutBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately my projector is still in chuffing Oslo thanks to DHL not being nearly as speedy as they claim, so to kill the time, I’m still middling over leads.

And just to double check before I spend quite a bit of money, which of these 2 boxes will give me a better image on my new PTAE-100:

RGB to Component

Or...

RGB to VGA

VGA is cheaper, and the huge topic about the PTAE using VGA versus Component video has completely confused me, so any advice would be warmly welcomed. :)

8. bunkerbuster2

bunkerbuster2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know how you feel, mines still in the "chuffing" midlands

9. jimsmith

jimsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an rgb to component video box from www.rgbtosvideo.com and it works a treat from my Sky box.

I use the S connection from my DVD player and that works just fine too.

Unfortunately my PT-AE100E has just blown it's second power supply (that's 2 in eight months). I'm beginning to wonder if I should have bought something else.

Jim

10. YaZiN

YaZiN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have any of you had problems displaying NTSC signal's to you Pannies??

We have just got our Panny and a Sony DAVS 550 and when I try to play a Region 1 DVD it won't show up on the projector.

The 550 is connected to the projector via S-Video and it is set to Auto 1 on the panny but there is no picture :(.

I have tried setting the panny to NTSC manually and it still won't display anything.

Does anybody know if there is anything I should be doing on the Sony?? It was just connected and ran from the default settings (region free modded) from Richer Sounds.

I am going to have to try and get em to come and make it region free again anyway as It must have lost it's settings and now it gives me a Prohibited Region message instead of playing the DVD :(.

11. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Don't know about the Sony but the Panny plays NTSC signals just fine.

Is there any way you can test the s-vid output on a TV to check that you are getting a correct output.

12. YaZiN

YaZiN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will try that what I get home this afternoon.