• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

connecting to the net via a sky SC201

keyi

Standard Member
is it possible to connect using the SC201 wireless box or is the box solely for use with a skyHD box

cheers peeps keyi

im not clued up with all this techno stuff:(

sykotik

Distinguished Member
the ps3 is wireless , :smashin:

you dont need to connect it to the "SC201 wireless box" which all intents and purposes is just wireless box for the sky box and "on demand"

keyi

Standard Member
sorry sykotik i should have explained
the ps3 keeps dropping the wifi signal and i have a spare sc201 box and was wondering if it could be used? or is there a way of making the ps3 receive the wifi signal eg by a switch inside

sykotik

Distinguished Member
sorry sykotik i should have explained
the ps3 keeps dropping the wifi signal and i have a spare sc201 box and was wondering if it could be used? or is there a way of making the ps3 receive the wifi signal eg by a switch inside

aye c :smashin:

i couldn't really say ,if it would work or not ,
i'm guessing no , as there are both wifi receivers/senders
and if the ps3 is dropping signal then i think any thing connected to it will do the same ,
but you can try it , (try both wired and wireless settings when testing it)

how far away is the ps3 from the router ?
have you thought about "home plugs" , you can get some for £30 and there do work i have some homeplug | eBay :smashin:

Last edited:

keyi

Standard Member
just thought id ask before i tried, i dont want to break anything
the router is in the next room but with the stairs in the way
ye ive thought about home plugs but thought id try what ive got first, shame it wont work it would save me £30

sykotik

Distinguished Member
just thought id ask before i tried, i dont want to break anything
the router is in the next room but with the stairs in the way
ye ive thought about home plugs but thought id try what ive got first, shame it wont work it would save me £30

give it a try , you may have to try the "wired settings" as the Ethernet cable will be connected in the back of the playstation , then into the sky wireless box

could you run a ethernet cable thro the wall and stairs to the router?

keyi

Standard Member
ye mate i can run it through the wall or i can when i can be arsed to do it lol just thought id try something else first as i have it knocking about in the house doing nowt

if i connect via a wire do i have to change some settings? doesnt it just know what im doing?

cheers for the replys

sykotik

Distinguished Member
no idea mate
it will be a trial and error

iv never use the "sky box" if there will be any settings to change

as for the ps3
go to network setting >"internet connection settings"> custom > then chose wired connection

you could try both ways (wired or wireless) .....really not sure if it would work or not ,

keyi

Standard Member
cheers mate im wondering if thats why my wireless connection isnt working right? (it keeps knocking off)

sykotik

Distinguished Member
wireless connection can be pain in the ass some time's
do you have other devices connected by wireless , phones can cause connection to drop

is there an other sky wireless box ( you said you had one laid around do you use an other one for your sky tv box)

wired connection will always be best , running an ethernet cable or home plugs are the easiest option ,

do you keep your router on all the time "broadband " can be turned off "fiber needs to on all the time " could do with rest
having loads of devices can disrupt the signal , IE the kidz up stairs, the miss's on the tablet "checking face"*****"book ha ha

keyi

Standard Member
ye mate we have 2 laptops 1 ipad 3 phones and a 2 sky boxes one is wired though the other is connected via a sc201 bow but only pics up a signal for 30 mins gggrrrrr

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom