• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting to Surround Sound (Denon 500SD)

scottbufc

Established Member
Just looking for a quick bit of advice.

Have tried to go from the HD box to the Denon with the standard red/white cables (known as av I assume) connected these into the Denon in the Video 1 IN section, switched the Denon to VIDEO 1 but am getting no sound. I know the Denon is working fine as will play analogue TV through all 5.1 speakers. Have I done something wrong here or can I simply not do what Im trying to with the +HD box?

StevieBuck

Prominent Member
You can get 5.1 Dolby Digital on certain HD programmes with the Sky+HD box. You need to use the optical or digital coaxial output on the Sky box to access the 5.1 audio though.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about getting the stereo analogue audio connectors to work. Look into getting it connected with optical or digital coaxial instead.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks for that. Do I need a specific optical cable because ive noticed there are various m-m m-f versions?

Optical cable connections are always male but there are two sizes. Universal cables come with an adaptor at each end so will work with any combination.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom