Connecting to Sky Q mini boxes

Griffmaster

Standard Member
Hi.

Looking to change from HSky D to Q where with my current setup I dont have multiroom but have two other TV's connected via co-ax cables from a multway amplifier/splitter, not bothered about watching different programs on each TV, all TV's show the same channel presently and would like to keep it this way with Q.

With Q I believe to do this I would need 2 mini boxes but due to the house construction I would prefer to hard wire from the main Q box to the other 2.

I know co-ax is out and HDMI impractical in my case so which would be the best way to connect the 3 using wiring assuming it is possible.

Thanks.

Griff.

englishman121

Standard Member
Ethernet cable back to your router from the main Sky Q box and from each mini box. The boxes aren't wired directly, they exist on your network and talk to each other via that. Don't forget to turn off the wifi.

Griffmaster

Standard Member
I currently have a cable running from my present Sky router to an ethernet switch behind the TV.

So, would it work if I connect the new router (suppled with Q) into this switch and then plug the main Q box and the 2 mini's into the switch?

Also anyone know if the 2TB Q box be compatible with 2 wired mini's?

Thanks.

bingodisco

I currently have a cable running from my present Sky router to an ethernet switch behind the TV.

So, would it work if I connect the new router (suppled with Q) into this switch and then plug the main Q box and the 2 mini's into the switch?

Also anyone know if the 2TB Q box be compatible with 2 wired mini's?

Thanks.
Simple answer is yes, in theory.
if you get a decent Q box & a good installer (often a rarity) then that should all work fine. You could negate some network cabling by using Homeplug network adaptors which use your house’s internal wiring to transfer the signal from the main Q box to the minis.
I have a neighbour who I helped set up their 2TB Q box & minis this way - their installer was hopeless. It took a while but it does work.

englishman121

Standard Member
Yes. I am running 2 mini boxes, one in my study, the other in my workshop, both wired into a switch. The 2TB Q box in the lounge is connected to another switch together with TV, AV Receiver, Blue Ray Player, Amazon Fire Cube. Both switches are wired into a BT router in the loft. Works a treat, despite the Sky Installer suggesting it wouldn't.

I tried a separate dedicated cable from Main Box directly into the router thinking the might be some benefit but it was unnecessary. Everything works just fine through switches.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom