1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting to Sky Digibox?????

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Jonny1973, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the best way of connecting a projector to a Sky Digibox???
    I'm looking at getting a Panasonic PT-AE100 soon (February-ish), it has component video, S-Video and composite.

At the moment, I use an RGB SCART to my TV but when I get a projector I can't use that method.

I have an adaptor to convert SCART to 3xPhono which would give a low quality composite picture but there must be a better way.

How can I get either a component video or S-Video picture?

For S-Video, would I need to buy a S-VHS VCR or can the Digibox output an S-Video signal???

Cheers,

Jonny

2. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There is a Grundig box which has s-video or the new Sky+ boxes (which can be bought direct from your local Sky dealer and just used as a faster box with dolby digital and s-video).

Also you can buy rgb to s-video adaptors

eg. www.rgbtosvideo.com

I'm not sure if your projector is the same but some will display RGB via the component inputs. Worth seeing if you can find a .pdf of the manual.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

3. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I bought an S-VHS VCR would that do the conversion from RGB-to-S-Video by passing the signal thru the VCR?

I know RGB and Component are the same but the connections are different. How do you connect 3 x phonos to a digibox to get component video?

Jonny

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The easiest way is to just feed a composite signal from the digibox to the projector, assuming it has a composite input. Composite is present on both scarts of the digibox, but you'll need to leave the scart1 for the TV alone as the RGB feed needs a composite connection for sync.

Alternatively, take the composite feed from the output of the VCR as it should pass the composite through when in standby mode.

No VCR will do RGB>s-video conversion, though some might convert the composite output to s-video. It wouldn't improve the quality any, but if you have your projector hooked to your amp via s-video already, it would provide a handy way to give you Sky without much extra cabling or messing around.

I don't know about RGB input - you'd need to carry the Red Green and Blue signals plus composite (for sync) into the projector somehow assuming it even supports the feature. I know that my Sony HS1 will take RGB input but a special connector is needed. If your PJ does support RGB input, then you'll probably need a custom made SCART to 'break out' the connections.

Gav