1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting to Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by psuedoscot, Oct 23, 2004.

1. psuedoscot

psuedoscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing and wasted cash I need to know whether the following configuration will work. If it does I wouldn't mind knowing what would work better (even if it costs more).

Equipment I want to connect to my Panasonic PW6:

Sony Receiver with 4 svideo in and 1 out
    SKY+
    PS2
    DVD Player with component and svideo out

1. I was thinking I could just connect them as follows:

SKY+ to Receiver - Svideo to Svideo
    PS2 to Receiver - Ps2 cable to Svideo
    DVD to Receiver - Svideo to Svideo (Is quality better if I use component?)

2. Then can I just get a single port JS Labs Scart to VGA Convertor to get everything to the Plasma?

3. Is there a quality loss having the extra step through the AV receiver rather than straight to a purpose switching units.

4. I know this is perhaps a stupid question but can a scart lead carry composite, RGB and s-video? :zonked:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    FIRST THINGS FIRST....................... JS Technology RGB> VGA PLASMA converter Will NOT work WITH S_video thats why its a RGB>VGA box...
    DVD will be better with Component...... so you want the dual slot Component S-video board for plasma PS2> amp Sky+>AMP AMP to Screen S-video
    DVD>PW6 component

3. psuedoscot

psuedoscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK.

When you say 'dual' I can only find a TY42TM6V for S-Video and TY-42TM6ZC. Do I just go for both of these? For the component if my DVD has RCA conncetors am I better getting the RCA version of the board?

Is there any reason why there is no JS s-Video to VGA convertor? Is the s-Video quality not worth trying to improve further?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I dont know ask Dr John..... but however the RGB>VGA converter is a sync stripper not an actual converter hence why there is no loss of quality..... AV_sales seel the dual slot board Reason: cheaper than buyiing 2 boards and BNC is a better connnector (need a RCA to BNC lead nowt special just need to speak to someone who knows what they are doing)
    £180 dual board at AV-sales or £130 per board..........