1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting to Plasma - couple of ?'s

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Shepski, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

Just got my hit 42pd5200 setup and now just got a decent scart and component cable to use on it. I have sky+ and a panny dmre55 to connect onto the plasma. The e55 will be using component cable which is fine but what would be the best way of connecting sky+ up? currently it goes to dvd then to telly but I am thinking i maybe should go from sky+ rgb scart to rgb scart on plasma and then from the 2nd scart on sky+ to e55 for recording purposes. Is this the best way or wont it make any difference if i daisy chained like i have currently?

2nd question is, anyone used the thx optimiser on the star wars dvd (or i guess any other dvd which is thx)? is it any good for setting up the plasma levels? if not, whats the best thing to use?

thanks for any help :)

Simon

2. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    are you getting a poor sky picture the way you currently have it set up?
    I don't think you should use the second scart on sky to go to the dvd for recording as I think it only outputs composite (?). Probably best to do as much as you can through the sky RGB output, maybe getting a good quality box that splits the signal between the screen and the dvd. I am not sure that the dvd will alter the signal from rgb to component so the pass through you currently have if I'm reading right will be sending the rgb signal up the component cable.

3. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The VCR output from the Sky+ box should not display the OSD or the menus, as you don't want these recorded (or do you?)

So its better if you connect the Sky+'s TV out to the plasma and the VCR out to the E55.

4. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The VCR output from SKY+ is indeed composite. I suggest that you continue to have the TV ouput from your SKY+ box connected into the DVDR and 'daisychaining' thorugh to the Plasma. This gives you the best PQ to record onto DVD. Afterall isn't that one of the reasons for recording onto DVD as opposed to VHS?

You could output S-Video from the SKY+ into your plasma for viewing and still be able to record RGB pictures on the DVDR. Not the optimum PQ but better than the composite option.

5. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the picture from sky is fine although if the e55 is turned on and selected to the input the sky comes in on there is a delay in the audio. turn the player off and its fine, the signal passes straight through to the telly, this happened before i got plasma, it the e55 causing it as it never occured when i had a normal dvd player attached in the same way.

if ur correct in saying the rgb from sky to dvd scart will then pass to the component then I may aswell, like you say, leave it in that configuration if i get no benefit in spliting the devices, just not sure it will pass the signal from scart to component when the player is turned off.

6. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one other thing but this may just be the way things are with a big telly, everything looks fine as far as in proportion is concerned, movies look great, tv prgrams look great but skysports news.....its almost unreadable because of the size of all the text they have, its huge!!! no other channel that displays text seems to be like this. its almost like they have enlarged the fonts just for that channel!!! wife is going mental cos she likes watching that channel but getting headaches much like reading a book too close to your face :s

7. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the E55 is the same as the Sony GX7 then it will not pass the RGB signal to Component when switched off. I had to have the Sony switched on the get a picture (Plasma configured to expect Component).

To be honest I didn't notice any difference between the RGB Sky+ picture and one that had been 'converted' to Component. I tend to view with RGB and re-configure the DVDR to Component for DVD viewing. It's a bit of hassle but means that I don't need the DVDR on to view Sky+