Connecting to BT Openzone??????

cunny678

This is driving me mad.

At work every time I connect to a service I get the BT Openzone Welcome to Wi Fi screen to select provider. On selecting Vodafone it says this is a business Hotspot and that my network does not support it!!

Problem is the login screen keeps popping up yet sometimes it connects to the BT Openzone automatically. Any ideas on how to stop / cure this? Dont want to turn off the auto connect to Openzone:confused:

bransoj

Things are made difficult by the naming of BT Openzone hotspots. The ones that are generally free with the likes of O2 etc are named the same as the ones that BT Broadband users can use as part of their package and require a login on the screen that you are seeing.

As a general rule of thumb if when coming up it mentions a BT FON hotspot alongside the BT Openzone one then its not one you can use without a BT Login.

Search the forum and you will see loads about it.

cunny678

Thanks for the info!

Problem is the login screen keeps popping up all the time which makes it difficult to do anything. Is there a way to ignore a particular wi fi spot without ignoring the whole BT network?

bransoj

Thanks for the info!

Problem is the login screen keeps popping up all the time which makes it difficult to do anything. Is there a way to ignore a particular wi fi spot without ignoring the whole BT network?
Best bet is that the next time you get connected to one that it cant use go to Wifi settings and you will see the wifi hotspot listed. Click on the arrow next to it to go to a settings page and you will see some options. You can forget the network so it will then prompt you next time and you can just ignore it and i think, not sure, there is also an option so that it stops automatically connecting to it.

Demon Luci

I wouldn't bother. Generally the speed is glacial....

bransoj

I've definitely had more luck with Cloud hotspots compared to BT Openzone ones over the time i've had my O2 contract with them included. That said recently my grandad has given me his BT logon details to use with the BTFon type hotspots and they are much better.

cunny678

My settings say I am logged in at the moment but every time I launch safari I get the BT login page and I cant get out of it:(

Weird (and annoying) the icon at top of screen says I am logged in and yet I cannot do anything:suicide:

In settings it lists:-bt fusion locked, BT Businesshub locked and BT openzone unlocked. Dont want to forget the whole BTopenzone network or do I?

How do I get back to 3G and avoid just this one?

I know I can turn off wi - fi but that seems to defeat the object!!!

Last edited:

bransoj

One of them will have a tick next to it to identify as being connected to it. You need to press the arrow on that one to go to the settings page for it and do what i mentioned above. Until you forget it it will keep trying to use it.

Unfortunately due to BT giving two different types of hot spot the same BT Openzone name means its a bit of a pain. In general i only connect to BT Openzone if i really need to and it doesnt show a BT Fon hot spot at the same time.

cunny678

One of them will have a tick next to it to identify as being connected to it. You need to press the arrow on that one to go to the settings page for it and do what i mentioned above. Until you forget it it will keep trying to use it.

Unfortunately due to BT giving two different types of hot spot the same BT Openzone name means its a bit of a pain. In general i only connect to BT Openzone if i really need to and it doesnt show a BT Fon hot spot at the same time.
Cheers - will give it a go!

Just did not want to ignore the whole openzone network, but if it prompt me that should be fine:smashin:

mvf4

Can I just ask do you need to be a BT customer to conect to open zone or can anyone use them?

dwhite

Use of BT openzone comes free with some (all?) O2 iphone contracts, not sure about other providers.

bransoj

Use of BT openzone comes free with some (all?) O2 iphone contracts, not sure about other providers.
But not all hotspots that show as BT Openzone. There are two types and only one type allows a connection as part of O2, and possibly other providers, contracts. As a general rule of thumb if you get BT Openzone and BT Fon you cant use the BT Openzone one as its not one thats included. Its one that is part of BTs home broadband network where those users can piggy back on other BT home broadband connections.

These require a BT email address and relevant package in order to log in at the web page you will get when trying to browse in Safari when connected to it.

dwhite

Sorry, yes of couse, I was just responding to mvf4's question.

Top Bottom