1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting to at AV amp for movies and games?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by matblack, Jun 7, 2005.

1. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi guys

I want to connect my PC to my AV amp for movies and for games, I seem to have got the movies part sorted and I'm outputing to the optical port and decoding on the amp.

Everything is packed away now so I can't test it but I need to know if this also works with games, will the surround sound be sent via the optical link, or do I need to connect all the analogue outputs of the sound card to the 6.1 direct inputs on the amp.

This is probably a really simple question and if I had all the stuff out of the boxes I would try for myself but can I just get a away with the optical or do I need more wires?

Cheers

MB

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will get sound from the optical out for games but it wont be Dolby 5.1 (if the game supports it)

In order to get 5.1 you need to either connect analogue ports or like me and a few others on here use the Mystique sound card which decodes dolby digital 5.1 on the fly (nforce 2 boards also have this feature with soundstorm)

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    you cannot send signal through SPDIF out of games to amp unless you have a nvidia soundstorm mobo. well you can but its only 2 ch and not 5.1, 6.1 etc. you will need to use analouge output from soundcard to inputs on the amp. its a pain in the arse mate but worth it trust me ;)

ps are you the guy on OCUK doing the cellar ? im bauer over there

edit beaten...also forgot about the mystic Card but im hearing its dodgy anyways

4. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thats me :)

Looks like I'm off to Maplin tomorrow for some splitters :)

I'll continue to use the optical for DD and DTS though it seems fine with that :)

MB