Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Connecting to a Viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by MarkF, Apr 6, 2005.

1. MarkF

MarkF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a 37" Viera, a DMRE55 DVD Recorder and an SCHT520 home cinema system. I want to connect all of these up together so that I can record from the freeview broadcasts while watching DVD movies via component from the SCHT520 home cinema.

Is this possible as I understand to record the freeview broadcasts the recorder must be connected to AV4, but AV4 is also used for the component input - or have I got this all wrong? :lease:

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    you can connect the input source for recording via scart or s-video and then select the correct input source on the remote (so that without a dvd in you can see freeview via the component input to your screen, for s-video in you would select AV4)...but in the e55 menu it refers to that same input source as av2, which is confusing but so long as you set AV2 to scart or svideo as appropriate you should be able to watch dvd using your component out whilst recording.

3. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a similar set-up but Viera 42inch and E85 - assume connections are the same? If so the you can record Freeview via AV2 (of Viera) or AV4 and assign Q-link to either.

To watch DVD via component while recording I connect the recorder to AV2 via S-video. Not as good as RGB or component of course but then you can only record from Viera in composite video so practically makes little difference unless you're using E55 as a DVD player too in addition to your SCHT520. I have my DVD player connected to AV4 via component.

Another advantage to alternative of connecting recorder to AV4 scart and using same inoput fro component from DVD is that the recorder doesn't 'override' the AV4 input when it's recording which I found was the case. The way I recommend here just lets you switch the viera between the av2 and av4 inputs depending on what you wish to view.

So far I've found this ideal. if I needed to connect more things to viera then I'd just start using my av amp for video switching. Currently just use for audio feeds.

Clear as mud I hope!

Adrian

4. MarkF

MarkF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

5. dazek

dazek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm sure my viera book says q-link works from AV2 & AV3 but i cannot get it to work from AV3!

Also, I have sky connected to my dvd recorder, my dvd is connected to tv via component - does that mean i can't have q-link??

6. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the last Viera series (PE30) Q-link is selectable between AV2 and AV4. Maybe you're talking about the new Vieras and this has changed?

Adrian