Connecting the TV, Cable and DVD/HDD Player

L

Lentrica

I'm having trouble hooking the TV, Cable and the DVD player so they all work in harmony.

I need to be able to hook it up in such a way (with scart (or better)) so that I can watch the cable on my TV but if I ever need to watch cable through my DVD player or record a cable channel on the DVD player whilst watching the channel or simply play a HDD/DVD movie, then I can do so without changing anything around.

The problem is, I don;t want to connect the DVD player to my TV directly because that kind of setup degrades the picture quality.
I'd like to have the cable hooked up directly to the TV and yet, somehow have the DVD player hooked up to the cable box and yet have it working in all the ways I have describe above.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should hook it all up and where I should connect what cable?

Appreciate the help,

JH

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I don't understand how connecting the DVD directly to the TV would degrade the picture. If you mean the cable picture, then yes, maybe. If your DVD recorder (I'm presuming it's a recorder) allows RGB passthrough via SCART then connect the RGB SCART output (check cable box manual) to the DVD recorder and then use a 2nd SCART to the TV. Set both to output RGB (usually in video settings). However, that usually means you have to have the DVD recorder on to watch cable.

A work around would be something like the JS Tech SCART buffer which would take a single RGB output from a cable box or sky box and then split the RGB signal into two outputs, so you could connect one to the DVD recorder (for the best possible recordings) and one to the TV for viewing.

JS Tech SCART buffer

In future, please specify exact makes/model nos so that the folks on here have a better understanding of what you are trying to achieve. It also helps if you specify the connections that are available. :thumbsup:

L

Lentrica

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Starview (relatively unknown) cable box and an Ellion DVD/HDD recorder.

The two scart sockets on the cable box are labeled:

• VCR
    TV

and the two scart sockets on the DVD/HDD player are named:

• Euro Output (TV)
    Euro AV In/Out (Decoder)

I really don't want to hook it up in such a way where I have to leave the DVD player on to watch cable.
At the moment, it is degrading the Cable picture because of the hookup.

What I'd like to do is connect the scart from the cable box (TV Out) directly to the TV so I get the best picture.
But then, I need to bring the DVD/HDD Recorder into the equation and I'm not sure how I should hook it up from that point onwards.

When you say the words "RGB passthrough via SCART", what is the difference between RGB and Scart? I thought RGB was simply another name for scart!

If I did use the Video Buffer as you mentioned, would this type of connection allow me to play my DVDs and also record from cable onto the HDD through this hookup?
Can I watch and record cable through my DVD player by flicking the program numbers on my DVD/HDD box?

Is there a general name for the Video Buffer box or is that what it's called everywhere? I'll be looking for the best deal in my area.

Thanks again for your help,

JH

davepuma

Distinguished Member
What I'd like to do is connect the scart from the cable box (TV Out) directly to the TV so I get the best picture.
But then, I need to bring the DVD/HDD Recorder into the equation and I'm not sure how I should hook it up from that point onwards.

I haven't heard of your cable box or HDD/DVD recorder. Are they UK models?

Connect cable box TV SCART socket direct to TV
Connect cable box VCR SCART socket to HDD/DVD Recorder via in/out decoder SCART
Connect HDD/DVD Recorder to TV via SCART

When you say the words "RGB passthrough via SCART", what is the difference between RGB and Scart? I thought RGB was simply another name for scart!

SCART is basically the name for the type of connection. A SCART cable can carry a number of different video signals including (in order of quality):
composite video (those yellow/red/white leads - the red/white being audio)
S-Video
RGB (uses the three colours red/green/blue to carry the signal)
Component video (also known as YpBpR or YUV - red/blue/green connection. Rarely used via SCART though)

RGB and component are more or less the same thing and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two on a small screen. The difference between composite and RGB is huge. Composite looks terrible IMO. Your VCR socket on the cable box probably outputs composite video (my sky box, hence why I use a RGB SCART buffer).

You need to check your TV's manual, to see how many SCART connectors are RGB enabled. If it only has one, you can daisy chain the two devices together by connecting them together via SCART. Alternatively (better option) get a RGB splitter box (do a search on these forums and loads will turn up inc. Joytech etc at around £60).

If I did use the Video Buffer as you mentioned, would this type of connection allow me to play my DVDs and also record from cable onto the HDD through this hookup?
Can I watch and record cable through my DVD player by flicking the program numbers on my DVD/HDD box?

The Video buffer simply splits the RGB output from your cable box (if it has one) so that you can pass the RGB signal (best quality) to both the TV and the DVD/HDD recorder. All this would be irrevelant if your TV or HDD/DVD recorder can't display/input RGB signals. Check your manuals. You would need to use the cable's remote to change channels but you could view the cable via the DVD/HDD box simply by selecting the relevant input on the DVD/HDD. I don't know if you can record to HDD and play a DVD at the same time on your particular DVD recorder. I don't even know if I can do it on my own one, it probably does. I only use the recorder when I'm away so that it records stuff in my absense. I don't know what type of tuners your DVD recorder has but my Pioneer has an analogue tuner, a freeview (digital) tuner and then two external inputs, one of which I use for Sky.

Is there a general name for the Video Buffer box or is that what it's called everywhere? I'll be looking for the best deal in my area.

The JS-Technology SCART buffer is the only one I've come across and works. It may seem costly but it works and JS-Technology are highly regarded.

Thanks again for your help,

JH

No problem. Regardless of whether you go for a SCART splitter (JS Tech sell one as well) and a SCART buffer, you should be able to hook the two bits of kit together and to your TV using 3 SCART cables (see above).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom