Connecting the sub

angelboy

Do i use a phono cable or standard speaker cable to connect. My sub has both connections on the back but the 'line hi' is the banana connectors. I've got an electrician round first thing to lay the speaker cables for the sub and i'd hate him to fit the wrong cable

It's a Mordaunt Short 309

Cheers

Knyght_byte

from what i understand with that sub you can have one or the other.....

the high level is as far as im aware mainly for stereo use, the low level is for LFE in a 5.1 surround setup.....so if you use all satellites or not worried about high level stereo sub integration, then use a digital coaxial phono for the low level.......

angelboy

I think i get it now.

If I use the phono cable then the sub uses it's amp settings. If I use speaker cable then I can control the sub via the amp.............

Knyght_byte

if you use the phono then you set the crossover on the surround amp

if you use the high level then you set the crossover on the subs amp controls.

at least as far as i can assume.....this is the case on my REL.....but it might be worth you checking with someone else to be safe...lol

however for gain (kinda the same as volume) then you can control that in various ways by both surround amp and sub........by phono you have the LFE channel output and the amps master volume on the surround amp, on the sub you have the low level/LFE gain knob...........by hi level (speaker wire) you have the master volume control on the amp, and on the sub the hi level gain knob (assuming your sub has both)......
but like i say, im working roughly on what i seen in the manual for the 308 not the 309, plus im using personal experience from REL subs, not MS....they are a little different possibly in how they work....

Top Bottom