1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting the Sky box to an amp

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by chrisquinze, Dec 21, 2003.

1. chrisquinze

chrisquinze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone help?

How can you connect the Sky box to an amp such that you get surround sound?

At the moment I have my amp connected by phono leads to the skybox. This however does not give me surriound sound from sky broadcasts like movies and sports.

There are no other sockets on the sky box for audio. Can phono leads even deliver surround sound?

Help!

2. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't say whether it's Sky or Sky+. If you have Sky+ then your box has an optical digital audio output which you can connect to your amp (provided it has optical input) and this will give you Dolby Digital sound.

If you're Sky only, then you have a problem. The phono plugs will output a STEREO signal only and this cannot be decoded to 5.1. The only option is to set your amp to Pro Logic 11 (if available) and this will give you surround STEREO sound which is a (poor) substitute for DD.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The standard twin phonos of course are perfectly suitable for stereo programming which includes Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound which was the first domestic format and has been around for over a decade and is quite common on terrestrial and dsat broadcasts.

As Northerner says ProLogic and PLII are not substitute for DD5.1 but you should be getting decent results from suitable programming via the phonos.

4. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, Sky+ is the way you will get true 5.1 sound, but only on select movie channels (premiere 1, 2 & 3). The optical out will also output the PL/PL II signal. However, I have heard Sky will be getting more surround sound channels (movies) soon.