1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Surround Sound

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by madcyril, Aug 18, 2004.

1. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I thought it was about time i bought some kit but I'm definetly an amateur when it comes to this stuff.I,ve just ordered a Pioneer 434HDE plasma to match up with my Philips DVDR880,Sky Digi box and cheapie Pacific DVD care of Asda.These are connected via a Philips TV Wireless Link.I want to add some surround sound.Do I need an AV receiver or can I just connect a speaker kit directly to the plasma sceen.I may ditch the Philips DVD and purchase a Home Cinema System with Recordable DVD like the Panasonic SCHT37R or the JVC set ups.Is it straight forward connecting everything up so I get surround sound from everything connected or again do I just connect the Home Cinema System directly to my screen.
    Probably a stupid qustion but this all new to me.Grateful for any help received.
    Cheers.

2. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,955
    Before I worried about cables I would invest in a decent dvd player. What good is an excellent tv like that with a rubbish source. It is like filling a ferrari with bog water.

3. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Bit strong that Mr Piper,I thought the Philips DVD was pretty decent but like I said I may change it for a full Home Theatre System.My question was more about the best way to actually connect the surround sound set-up,not will be played through it.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You have the option of buying an AV receiver plus seperate speakers or an all in one system depending on the level of quality and facilities that you want. All of your sources would be connected to it for better quality sound although only the DVD's will be in 5.1 digital surround sound.

5. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,955
    Sorry please do not take offence I was basing my argument on the pacific dvd player that you have

6. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    No offence taken,the Pacific is only included for doing back-ups,officially of course.Any suggestions for reasonably priced kit to compliment my screen,DVD is not essential unlees it's a recorder and I would prefer Tall Boy speakers.