Connecting surround sound to new tv

mexicatz

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an old surround sound system that uses two RCA style connectors. The tv doesn't have these ports. I was wondering what converter I would need to get it hooked up again. My old tv I just plugged them into the back.

345345.png

Do both of them have an optical (SPDIF/toslink) connection ?

Only the tv. This is the back of the pioneer. The red box is where the cables are plugged in.
pioneer-vsx-455-2609.jpg

Does the TV have a headphone socket you could drive at a suitable volume?

If the TV doesn't have a headphone socket you can use, then I would put the money you'll need to spend on a DAC (digital-to-analogue converter) towards a new AVR because, with a lack of digital inputs, you'll be fighting a losing battle keeping your old amp going and a new AVR will open up many more options for better sound and improved connectivity for your new TV.

There isn't a headphone jack on the tv. Can you recommend a DAC I would need if I tried that route before buying a new AVR? Figured I could test one out if they were cheap and just return if it doesn't work well.

Last edited:
There isn't a headphone jack on the tv. Do you know the type of DAC I would need if I tried that route before buying a new AVR? Figured I could test one out if they were cheap and just return if it doesn't work well.
You can spend a lot of money on a proper hi-fi DAC but, to be fair, they can also be bought fairly inexpensively from places like Amazon if you're happy to settle for an (essentially) unbranded device made in China.

Most of us are based in the UK here, so I would advise searching Amazon.com for 'DAC' and see what comes up. Make sure whatever you choose has an optical (SPDIF/toslink) input and RCA outputs for your amp, check it supports 5.1 surround (if that's what you require) and pay careful attention to the reviews. You'll usually get useful photos of the inputs/outputs and examples of what can be connected.

I would say you need something similar to this, but I've never bought one personally so can't make any specific recommendations - that is just an example of what to look for.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There isn't a headphone jack on the tv. Can you recommend a DAC I would need if I tried that route before buying a new AVR? Figured I could test one out if they were cheap and just return if it doesn't work well.
What brand and model is your TV?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom