• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

connecting surround sound problem

sierra_cossie

Standard Member
i just bought a panasonic surround sound system from currys only to find that when i got home the jacks arent on the back of my cable unit which the guy said to connect the cables to so the cable tv would be in surround sound...so i took it back and the guy has given me one with an optical in on the back of it. its a samsung ht-z310 and the tv is a 42pg3000 lg. If i connect the dvd surround sound system to the tv using the 3 coloured jacks (no spare scart sockets) and then i conect the optical cable to the tv, will this play my cable tv and ps3 in surround sound?? the guy in the shop said all i have to do is select tv or something like that on the dvd player, and whatever is playing on the tv will come through in the surround sound, is this right??? or do i have to choose something in the tv menu to make it come through???

any help would be greatly appreciated:lease:.

cheers

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Nope, the best you will get,(through optical) from the tv, is stereo only, so no surround there.
you would have to connect your cable box,with optical to get 5.1 - and also you would have to have something like the V+,or HD packages,to get 5.1,as the others, like standard cable is just stereo,not 5.1.
using the 3 coloured jacks(i presume you mean yellow,red/white),wont work.(and is just about the worst picture quality known to man.
to get tv audio through scart, it has to be a scart/euroconnector,and it must be an out,as well as an in...usually 2 arrows,in a circular icon.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom